Broadway Rocks

fourmile.ranch

This is for anyone else who loves this show but mostly for me since I've seen so many troops perform it. But what happened?

Ok, good news... gone is the melody from Miss Saigon. It was dreadful, went on too long and never really fit the show. It was happily replaced with a Tina Turner melody.

But honestly, we're keeping Guys & Dolls and South Pacific? I don't think any passengers are that old anymore (no offense to those who are). But we're getting rid of all the really cool props and relying on an LCD screen and prerecorded vocals in the background.

But then a melody from Whitney Houston. This troop handled it well but the show is now loaded with too much music that's easy to over-sing.

BUT THE FINALE! You know New York New York with the head pieces and feathers! Light go off, a single note rings out and

another Whitney song. I Wanna Dance With Somebody. Well, I wanna dance with somebody wearing a feathered boa and hat!

Sigh (sad face)

Like some musicals, some songs last decades, if not centuries, and others are a one-time wonder with no lasting appeal.  There are songs that are regularly played from the middle of the last century, but others are created that barely touch the ears before being forgotten. It is the difference between music of greatness, and music that is hardly music! 

• Like 3

I don't know that I've seen Broadway Rocks, but I remember a Broadway themed show from many years ago (anyone remember the "Broadway Bound" troupe?). It annoyed me because in a few places, the song chosen was one that had been added to the movie and had NEVER been sung on Broadway. If someone is putting together a musical show, shouldn't he/she/they know something about musicals????