Austin, Texas

CruisinFools

OK, I know this is totally OT, but I can't seem to find this info anywhere so I thought I'd ask the best posters in the world... how humid does it get in Austin, TX? Believe it or not, my DH and I are thinking about moving there, and I know it gets hot in the summer (as it does in the high desert of Southern California, where we are now.) I just can't seem to get a handle on the humidity level. I've tried all the weather websites, but you've got to be a scientist to figure out some of their facts and figures. In plain English, how humid does it get in Austin in the summertime? Thanks!!

OK, I know this is totally OT, but I can't seem to find this info anywhere so I thought I'd ask the best posters in the world... how humid does it get in Austin, TX? Believe it or not, my DH and I are thinking about moving there, and I know it gets hot in the summer (as it does in the high desert of Southern California, where we are now.) I just can't seem to get a handle on the humidity level. I've tried all the weather websites, but you've got to be a scientist to figure out some of their facts and figures. In plain English, how humid does it get in Austin in the summertime? Thanks!!

Here is a link that will provide you with more weather data than you ever wanted to know. Humidity info is near the bottom of the page.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KATT/2005/8/1/MonthlyHistory.html

Hi

I live in San Antonio, about an hour south of Austin....Austin is a great city, with so much to do....

South Texas gets very hot in the summer and humidity is lower than say, Houston (right on the water) but higher than the desert....I would say we range about in the middle when looking at other areas.

my daughter moved to Austin from Brooklyn, NY and lived there for 2 years. We visited twice - both times in the summer. It was hot, but I don't "do" heat - dry or humid.

Austin is relatively green, however, and a very interesting city.

I bought a souvenir coffee cup that says it all "Keep Austin Weird".

Having lived in the Austin area since 1963, it is a great palce to live. You have to be cautious in the middle of the day during late summer...that's when the humidity is the highest. Late July through about the middle of Sept. usually. The humidity seems worse at night and that's when it bothers me the most.....just keep the A/C going. In the winter, the temps don't get that cold, but usually the humidity is high so it is a damp cold and at times I've felt colder here when it is low 30's than I did in Colorado in single digit temps. We have about 2 months in the summer that you're saying...I wish fall would hurry & get here and two months of winter where you're saying I wish spring would get here. Then you've got 8 months of truely awesome weather. Welcome to the area if you relocate!

Mike

I'm Brooklyn born and I know about the 90/90 days of summer in NYC when it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity.As long as Austin isn't THAT humdid, I think I'll be OK. For the last 18 years, I've been living in Los Angeles (and you wonder why I want to leave?! Haha!) It gets the teeniest bit humid here and everyone is moaning and groaning. My DH can deal with the cold, even the "wet" cold, as long as it doesn't snow (when we left NYC, hge said he was never going to shovel another driveway again!). We can both deal with the heat - we currently live in the high desert of L.A. where the average temp in July/August/September is the mid-upper 90's. Dry heat or not, it's still HOT! As long as Austin doesn't get as humid as it does in Brooklyn (or Miami), maybe we'll be making the move soon.

I'm Brooklyn born and I know about the 90/90 days of summer in NYC when it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity.As long as Austin isn't THAT humdid, I think I'll be OK. For the last 18 years, I've been living in Los Angeles (and you wonder why I want to leave?! Haha!) It gets the teeniest bit humid here and everyone is moaning and groaning. My DH can deal with the cold, even the "wet" cold, as long as it doesn't snow (when we left NYC, hge said he was never going to shovel another driveway again!). We can both deal with the heat - we currently live in the high desert of L.A. where the average temp in July/August/September is the mid-upper 90's. Dry heat or not, it's still HOT! As long as Austin doesn't get as humid as it does in Brooklyn (or Miami), maybe we'll be making the move soon.

this past winter Austin had some wicked ice storms. My daughter's boss asked her for some tips for driving on ice...she told her, "yes, don't!"

Most summer days my daughter was able to go bicycle riding (a challenge with Austin's hills) or skateboarding. We really liked visiting there, but we're happier she's back in NY ;) .

Archived