Gluten free questions

mbiggers

We haven’t been on Viking Ocean since 2019 but are scheduled on the Neptune in 10 days. I remember they had decent scones for tea, but the World Cafe had limited gluten free products- no cookies, bagels, or cakes. Any comments on current selections would be appreciated. Should I bring a bag of bagels?

Thanks,

Michele

• Like 1

You should email tellus@vikingcruises.com before and let them know you are gluten free.  They will do their best to have a selection of goods for you on board.  You should however be doing this 30+ days in advance.

I just wrote tellus looking for Kefir over yogurt and they called me the next day saying they have already contacted the ship and if available in the countries we are sailing through they will do their best to have this on board.

Possibly too late to request, but would do it anyway.

The next step is to meet with the dining manager as soon as you board.  Once you are on the "special menu" list they will do their best to take care of you.

I have to eat GF.  If you go to the bread section (furthest aft) in the World Cafe and ask, they will get you GF muffins (excellent) and toast in the morning and GF bread and rolls at lunch and dinner.  I have never asked for bagels so don'tknow if they are an option.  I thought they had GF English muffins for eggs Benedict, but I  could be wrong.  You are right that there is usually not a lot of GF cake in the World Cafe, more mousse and custard, but when I want cake I head to Mamsen's for the wonderful Success cake.  And they have the best GF waffles there too.

You can ask for a GF tower at afternoon tea in the Wintergarden.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dd57 said:

I have to eat GF.  If you go to the bread section (furthest aft) in the World Cafe and ask, they will get you GF muffins (excellent) and toast in the morning and GF bread and rolls at lunch and dinner.  I have never asked for bagels so don'tknow if they are an option.  I thought they had GF English muffins for eggs Benedict, but I  could be wrong.  You are right that there is usually not a lot of GF cake in the World Cafe, more mousse and custard, but when I want cake I head to Mamsen's for the wonderful Success cake.  And they have the best GF waffles there too.

You can ask for a GF tower at afternoon tea in the Wintergarden.

Oh, how glorious!  I did not realize that the success cake was gluten free!  

I don't myself have to concern myself GF, but try to stay away from processed flour and other highly processed foods... so I LOVE the success cake and just one more reason to indulge!

16 hours ago, mbiggers said:

We haven’t been on Viking Ocean since 2019 but are scheduled on the Neptune in 10 days. I remember they had decent scones for tea, but the World Cafe had limited gluten free products- no cookies, bagels, or cakes. Any comments on current selections would be appreciated. Should I bring a bag of bagels?

Thanks,

Michele

We were just on Jupiter. I am sure I saw a separated/lidded area in the WC that was filled with a gluten free selection. I only glanced at it but I'm sure there were muffins etc. I'd definitely contact tell-us, they may be able to provide definite info.

We were on the July 2nd Neptune cruise. Not to worry! There were ample options all marked with a GF symbol on The Restaurant menu and in the World Café. I did hear a couple of people aske for GF bread at the World Café which was readily available.

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Oh, how glorious!  I did not realize that the success cake was gluten free!  

I don't myself have to concern myself GF, but try to stay away from processed flour and other highly processed foods... so I LOVE the success cake and just one more reason to indulge!

I was told by the executive chef on a past VO cruise that Viking sources all their flour from France. No GMOs. No wonder their croissants are so good…

On the last two cruises my wife, who has gluten intolerance, has asked the resident executive chef for almond flour gluten-free cookies and both times the cookies were made and delivered to our room.

viking also has GF scones at tea time. All you have to do is ask.

One more item….

Viking will have GF beer on board if you tell them of your needs ahead of time. On our last cruise my wife emailed tellus and soon after we boarded the person in charge of taking care of passengers with special dietary needs found her and told her that they had 100 bottles of GF beer on board. No, she did not drink them all. 😂 she may have had seven during our 14 day cruise.

I recall from our first cruise on Viking when it seemed difficult to have any kind of dietary restriction recognized to now when I feel that Viking take great pride in being able to offer some kind of consideration for special diet requirements.

I don't see them offering huge menus of specialized foods, but they are making strides.

36 minutes ago, Torquato said:

I was told by the executive chef on a past VO cruise that Viking sources all their flour from France. No GMOs. No wonder their croissants are so good…

European flour is naturally lower in protein and gluten.  Many people with gluten intolerances can manage European flour and breads...

If you bring home a recipe that is written to use European flour, it won't turn out the same in USA or Canada if you are using flour bought in USA or Canada.

• Like 1