Power Strips on Cruise Ships?

Insomniacs

On 7/18/2023 at 3:29 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

@Insomniacs...you keep making reference to a "power converter".  Perhaps this is just terminology getting in the way of a full understanding.  You DO NOT want/need a "power converter".  What you want is a power plug *adapter*...which simply changes the type of socket available for use.  Many cabins have 1 outlet that provides standard (for US) 110 volts.  I'll take a stab and guess that you don't want to "convert" any voltages here...just provide extra outlets to plug multiple items into.  A standard multi-headed extension cord/adapter provides this function.

If, on the other hand...your are plugging an *adapter* into a 220 volt outlet just keep in mind that even though your sockets "look" like standard US-style sockets...they are in fact connected to 220 volts!  Now, most power bricks/chargers these days are actually dual voltage devices, meaning that they can operate off of *either* 110 or 220 volts.  You have to look on the individual power brick to confirm this.

I carry a CPAP when I travel.  There is almost always a "hidden" 220 volt socket behind one of the beds.  I plug in an adapter that has both a 220 volt socket as well as a 110 volt style socket.  Doing so let's me plug in whatever *was* plugged into that socket (probably one of the nightstand lamps) while also providing a socket for my CPAP.  My CPAP operates with a dual voltage power brick.

Ship Power Adapter.jpg

Just now, kathyr said:

Just now, kathyr said:

Rick and Jeannie,

thank you for the info on the CPAP machine and where that outlet is hiding - I am traveling with a friend and she uses on and we were trying to figure out where the outlet might be as I know people travel with these alot. 

Kathy