Gala Nights

Holidayfun141

Hi sorry if this has been asked before, we are new to Cunard and have noticed some Gala nights are themed.

Do most Cunard customers follow the themes ? I have many sparkly dresses but no Red or Roaring Twenties

style, Black and White is ok.

I was on a recent TA and quite a few participated (50%) in the Red and Gold dress theme but very few participated in the Masquerade theme. 
I wouldn’t go too crazy worrying about the themes, as @Victoria2 hinted above. 
Please note however that a vast majority dress formally on Gala nights and take the overall formal dress code seriously. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NE John said:

I was on a recent TA and quite a few participated (50%) in the Red and Gold dress theme but very few participated in the Masquerade theme. 
I wouldn’t go too crazy worrying about the themes, as @Victoria2 hinted above. 
Please note however that a vast majority dress formally on Gala nights and take the overall formal dress code seriously. 

The color themes are pretty easy because they're colors people are likely to have. For the red and gold, some women wear a red dress, not a red-and-gold dress. Close enough for the theme. I found that, in Alaska, the "ice white" (actually, white or blue or silver) was followed more than I had expected. On that cruise, I'd say possibly as many as 30% were dressed for Roaring Twenties. Of course, for men it's easy, they can get away with a tux. But I saw some beautiful '20s dresses on that cruise. I love mine. It's easy to pack and fun to wear. 

The masquerade theme is meant to be more of a masked ball (think feathered mardi gras mask), not a costume party. As @BigMac1953 said, the people who follow it most are the people who are going to the Queens room to dance or watch the dancing. 

That said, do people wear costumes if the masquerade night is on Halloween? 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The color themes are pretty easy because they're colors people are likely to have. For the red and gold, some women wear a red dress, not a red-and-gold dress. Close enough for the theme. I found that, in Alaska, the "ice white" (actually, white or blue or silver) was followed more than I had expected. On that cruise, I'd say possibly as many as 30% were dressed for Roaring Twenties. Of course, for men it's easy, they can get away with a tux. But I saw some beautiful '20s dresses on that cruise. I love mine. It's easy to pack and fun to wear. 

The masquerade theme is meant to be more of a masked ball (think feathered mardi gras mask), not a costume party. As @BigMac1953 said, the people who follow it most are the people who are going to the Queens room to dance or watch the dancing. 

That said, do people wear costumes if the masquerade night is on Halloween? 

Yes, it's very easy for the guy.  With the color themes, a bow tie, cummerbund or vest, or a pocket square can be enough with the tuxedo to "go with the theme". 

48 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Yes, it's very easy for the guy.  With the color themes, a bow tie, cummerbund or vest, or a pocket square can be enough with the tuxedo to "go with the theme". 

As long as it's a black tie and black cummerbund if worn.

3 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

As long as it's a black tie and black cummerbund if worn.

DH was not a purist. he had a red tie and cummerbund set, a beautiful marbled silk tie and waistcoat, and a bright tropical set bought and worn on a dare. And, of course, a black set.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1