High speed train from Istanbul cruise port to airport ?

I understand there is a new (2023) high speed train service to Istanbul International Airport (IST). 

Has anyone taken it from Galataport Istanbul (the cruise port)?

I cannot seem to figure out the closest train station from the port to access this service.

Thanks !

Well, lots of websites with the route map, but all too small-scale to read.

I eventually found this one, which can be zoomed

https://www.metro.istanbul/Dosyalar/harita/istanbul-raylisistemler-haritasi.jpg

This is going to be difficult to explain, so pour yourself a large shot  first.................

The nearest station to the cruiseport (and it's a major one) is Sirkeci Station.

On the grey line (the new hi-speed line) it's the first station to the left of the waterway which runs north to south (the Bosphorus Straits), the previous station is on the Asian side via a new tunnel under the Bosphorus. From there, the train runs west (left) to the airport.

Sirkeci station is on the south side of the Golden Horn,  broadly opposite the cruise port which is on the northern side of the Golden Horn.

https://goo.gl/maps/xkWxfsEYvmYQ8BPc7

The T-1 tram route from the cruise port to the old-town area of Sultanahmet (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, etc) is well-known by cruisers, it crosses the Golden Horn on the Galata Bridge - the first stop after the bridge is Eminonu and the next stop is Sirkeci  just a two-minute walk from Sirkeci station.

Problems are 

- it's now a long walk from the ship thro the port (Galataport) and along the main street to the nearest tram stop,Tophane

- and it takes a brave or foolish traveller to take luggage on that tram, because it's busy & not luggage-friendly. I did it - and I'm not brave 🙄.

So it's probably better to take an over-priced  taxi from the port to Sirkeci station.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 2