National Express LHR-Southampton Question

I was about to purchase a ticket but I'm a bit confused as to how this Change and Go works and their messenger chat only talks gobbledygook.

What to do if my plane is delayed? Quite possible. I am supposed to arrive at 16.30. The next buses are 17.30 and then 20.00. So I was going to purchase a ticket for 20.00 but in the fine print it talks about notifying them of the change before the time on your ticket. That may not be possible, I might still be up in the air, if say the plane was 6 hrs late and that happens more often than you'd think. Would they still let me on say the 23.30 bus with the Change and Go ticket even if I hadn't told them I'd be delayed. Or should I just buy a ticket out of the machine when I get there. Its a Monday so I wouldn't have thought it was peak time but who knows. It might not happen but I like to be prepared. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

I was about to purchase a ticket but I'm a bit confused as to how this Change and Go works and their messenger chat only talks gobbledygook.

What to do if my plane is delayed? Quite possible. I am supposed to arrive at 16.30. The next buses are 17.30 and then 20.00. So I was going to purchase a ticket for 20.00 but in the fine print it talks about notifying them of the change before the time on your ticket. That may not be possible, I might still be up in the air, if say the plane was 6 hrs late and that happens more often than you'd think. Would they still let me on say the 23.30 bus with the Change and Go ticket even if I hadn't told them I'd be delayed. Or should I just buy a ticket out of the machine when I get there. Its a Monday so I wouldn't have thought it was peak time but who knows. It might not happen but I like to be prepared. Thanks.

Notifying them in advance just means they can confirm a seat on your new departure if it’s not already sold out.

If you don’t notify them in advance it’s up to the driver whether to let you on, which will come down to whether there’s space. If it’s full, it’s full but if it’s not they’ll let you on.

I would always buy in advance - (a) because it’s cheaper and (b) because you’re guaranteed a seat if everything goes to plan, which it does in the vast majority of cases.

So I would stick with your plan and book the 2000 departure. If you’re lucky you might even make the 1730. 

And I’m sure you’re aware but Terminals 2/3, 4 and 5 have their own separate stops so make sure you check which terminal your flight arrives at and book the right one.

Many thanks @gumshoe958. I have my ticket now.

This is my 4th visit to Southampton. The first time I encountered problems with the on-line purchase and they had to ring me, so I then just bought a ticket at the counter as I had morning arrivals but I imagine they will have gone home for the day by evening. I fly into T3.

You're right, things usually go to plan but after 30+ hours in transit, rational thought tends to escape me so I like a plan B beforehand. I also have my emergency rain poncho at the ready!

• Haha 1