Drugs In Mexican Pharmacies

lsp

The prescription would have to be written by a federally registered physician... they are regulated by the sector salud (drug enforcement agency).

Here is some additional information:

Five Very Important Points about buying Mexican medications!

Consider this to be a kind of cheat sheet or “Golden Rulebook”, in case someone else asks you for advice about buying Mexican medications:

1. Check with your doctor before you decide to take a new or different medicine.

2. Never try to purchase controlled medicines without a valid Mexican prescription.

3. U.S. or Canadian (foreign) prescriptions are not accepted in Mexico.

4. Always declare your medicines when asked to do so by U.S. Customs.

5. U.S. Customs imposes a fifty-dose limit on controlled medicines.

You may find yourself wondering how to find a doctor that is authorized to write legal prescriptions for controlled medicines. The best way is to first find a first class pharmacy and then ask the supervisor for the name and telephone number of a doctor that they know and trust. Usually their 'recommended' doctor is within a block or two of the pharmacy.

If you need a large amount of controlled medicine, you will find that most doctors will balk at the idea of issuing prescriptions for more than one hundred tablets; even then they may write two different prescriptions for fifty tablets each and tell you to purchase the other prescription at a different pharmacy. Be sure to ask the doctor to telephone the pharmacy and confirm the fact that they do have the medicine on the shelf. It can be frustrating to go through the trouble of finding a doctor and paying him (commonly, twenty dollars) to write a prescription, only to find that the pharmacy is out of stock.

In Mexico, medications such as Valium, Vicodin, Placidyl, Ambien, codeine, and Ativan are not legally sold over-the-counter without a valid prescription from a Mexican physician. If you succeed in purchasing controlled medicines without benefit of a prescription, Mexican cops can bust you on a dope charge... and you can forget about bail.

Several highly publicized arrests of Americans in Mexico leave little doubt, at least in my mind, that illegal purchases of controlled medicines may be a setup. The penalty for such offenses is usually six months to a year in an uncomfortable Mexican prison. Getting out of jail with a well-placed bribe may... or may not be an option.

Do yourself a favor and never try to circumvent the law. Get a prescription!

You may find yourself wondering how to find a doctor that is authorized to write legal prescriptions for controlled medicines. The best way is to first find a first class pharmacy and then ask the supervisor for the name and telephone number of a doctor that they know and trust. Usually their 'recommended' doctor is within a block or two of the pharmacy.

Bingo. Often, said doctor is upstairs or immediately next door, and might even be a relative.

On Cuban cigars:

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/legacy/ccigar2.pdf

"The question is often asked whether United States citizens

or permanent resident aliens of the United States may

legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and

alcohol products, in a third country for personal use

outside the United States. The answer is no. The

Regulations prohibit persons subject to the jurisdiction of

the United States from purchasing, transporting, importing,

or otherwise dealing in or engaging in any transactions

with respect to any merchandise outside the United States

if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or

has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or

(3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article

which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba. Thus,

in the case of cigars, the prohibition extends to cigars

manufactured in Cuba and sold in a third country and to

cigars manufactured in a third country from tobacco grown

in Cuba."

I know this isn't a cruise port but our parents have been retired to the Rio Grande Valley in Texas and they, their friends and literally thousands--probably hundreds of thousands--of people go over the border regularly to get their prescription drugs. I am not talking about controlled drugs here. It is just the accepted and much, much cheaper way for those on fixed incomes to afford their medications. I have never heard of anyone having problems with the medications bought over the border. Some border towns cater especially to these retirees with dozens of pharmacies, new, clean and professional all in a small area. When the border agents ask what you are bringing back, just say, "medications" (do NOT say 'drugs') and all is well.

Perhaps cruise ports are a little different story because most of these visitors won't be returning every few weeks or months, but I still think few pharmacies would want to antagonize their customer base by selling inferior/different drugs. I don't advise anyone to do this if they are not comfortable with the idea, but our parents have been doing this for years with no problems and at massive savings.

How do you suppose Americans who live outside the U.S. survive without medications that have been "approved" by the FDA? To suggest that everything outside of the U.S. is sub-standard, inferior or dangerous seems narrow minded. I've lost track of all the drugs the FDA has approved and then several years later advised were dangerous to our health. Am I the only one who sees the "dance" that the FDA does with drug corporations? Your safety is not nearly as important as your money!

After reading all the responses to this thread, I have come to this conclusion. Drugs in Mexico are not regulatedand are illegal to bring back to the US if purchased. Hmmmmm......try and save money, possibly go to jail here or in Mexico. How much is a life worth? A possible 70% saving on aerosal inhailers but not knowing what you are really getting. There has been several incidents where silver, vanilla was fake and you are willing to take a chance on unregulated DRUGS...........It is a no brainer for me.

Kitty, you're absolutely right. Mexico doesn't care what you buy or what you do with it. No one is going to a Mexican jail for buying legal Mexican drugs and taking them to the USA.

As for the U.S., I always list "prescription drugs" on the back of my Customs Declaration and how much I paid. I've never been questioned and I assume it's because its never been noticed, but I did declare my purchases. From what I've read, you can bring back a small quantity for personal use, much like you can supposedly order meds from Canada over the phone or internet and no one will confisicate them.

In Mexico, you can buy nearly anything and there is a pharmacy on every corner and in major supermarkets. I've purchased a jar of antibiotics on each visit. Name brand is made by "Lilly". A local brand of apparently high quality is made by "Facelit". Lilly is Lilly, the same as in the United States. What novices will find interesting, besides the very low prices, is that these items come in name brand boxes or sealed jars, not the little prescription bottles we're used to here in the U.S. On the other hand, you get no medical advice either.

Belize/Venezuela, same as Mexico. No prescriptions needed.

In the Cayman Islands, you do need a prescription for everything. You can buy Allegra and Allegra-D there without a prescription because this is a non-prescription drug there and everywhere, except the U.S.

In the Bahamas you can buy cough medicine with codeine but I'd be real careful with that because the U.S. does consider codeine a "controlled substance" which brings an added element of danger. The previously mentioned Allegra is available over-the-counter. The pharmacists apparently can also "write" prescriptions as I've purchased antibiotics there as well but only the pharmacist will dispense, not the clerk.

BobK/Orlando

My hubby's throat was getting sore..strep fears. We got some regular antibiotics CHEAP, he took them and felt tons better..saved our cruise. I did hear that you are not to take them into US. The lady at Belieze who sold them to my husband even had a website where we could order more. I thought that to be a bit strange. We didn't , but just wanted to pass on what we encountered.

• 2 weeks later...

A plant from a major pharmaceutical company, per chance?

Declare what you purchased and have a U.S. prescription with you.

Whatever you do, DON"T bring suphedrine into the U.S.!! That will bring the wrath down upon you...

LL

Archived