P&O Norway Atlantic Ocean Road Day Trip

galeforce9

Has anyone done this? It’s from andalsnes.   Are there plenty of stops or is it mostly on the coach.  Interested in photography - not through coach windows.   Thanks for your help. Ps it will be winter but happy to hear about summer too

Edited by galeforce9

20 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

Has anyone done this? It’s from andalsnes.   Are there plenty of stops or is it mostly on the coach.  Interested in photography - not through coach windows.   Thanks for your help. Ps it will be winter but happy to hear about summer too

Heard some disappointed reviews in March on Aurora. Cable car is worth doing. Right next to ship. Depends on weather of course.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fionboard said:

Heard some disappointed reviews in March on Aurora. Cable car is worth doing. Right next to ship. Depends on weather of course.

Thank you.   The cable car was built since the last few times we’ve been there (2 summer/2 winter).  Think you’ve convinced me.  We had a nice walk in summer when we visited (good weather) and visited bjorli ski resort in winter , which we enjoyed.  Maybe we’ll do a half day to the stave church if anyone has done that and hope for the weather with the cable car for the other half day 

We hired a car from Avis Andalsnes and drove the Atlantic road ourselves, cheaper and a better experience, the tour i heard was not so good and also went on a drive around to some village also, complete waste of time if it is the road you want to see.

We did it in March on a Northern lights cruise, the Atlantic road was shall we say, a bit on the windy side.

Edited by Chrisdriving
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chrisdriving said:

We hired a car from Avis Andalsnes and drove the Atlantic road ourselves, cheaper and a better experience, the tour i heard was not so good and also went on a drive around to some village also, complete waste of time if it is the road you want to see.

We did it in March on a Northern lights cruise, the Atlantic road was shall we say, a bit on the windy side.

Thank you!  I bet it was

We did the trip over the Atlantic Highway though I'm pretty sure it wasn't from Andalsnes.  It's quite impressive in the way the road switch-backs and curves such that you get some interesting pics - at least from the photo stop en-route.  It's quite difficult to get the shots you'd like whilst riding in the coach - whilst on the road you don't get the same effect as looking at it from a distance.  And it doesn't last for long - it's only 5 miles long.  I can't remember where else we went because I'm sure the trip couldn't just have been just the Atlantic Highway. 

On balance though I'd definitely do the Gondola in Andalsnes subject to weather.  The views from on top are spectacular and there are some walks too although in the winter it may be restricted to the walkways.  Theres a nice cafe on top too.  Easy to DIY - about £40 p.p. and a short walk from the berth. 

• Thanks 1