Swapping to fixed dining Britannia

Presto2

19 hours ago, Presto2 said:

That's where they go then -- in May, other than the first welcome night, we didn't see an officer anywhere .... If our beloved Capt Willard is at HQ I hope he sees this as this was not his style at all. We saw him so many times we had to apologise in case he thought we were stalking him. And he went to eat with the crew ............

Loved Andy. Hilarious and sociable. Saw him in a pink tutu at the pantomime and rollerblading down the pier. What a character. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:28 AM, Presto2 said:

Going by our own experience in May and having read a number of reviews since we are beginning we to wonder if we should swap to fixed dining for our cruise in January. If we are unable to book speciality restaurants (we arrive day 2 and probably won't be able to book before) I don't want to spend 2 weeks stressed out or eating in the buffet.

I've found that the people on this P&O forum are inclined to be grumpy and there is a bias of over reporting of issues with Freedom Dining.  Yes, there have been one or two outlier cruises where something went wrong with the app - but the vast majority are fine and I wouldn't let tales from the moaners put you off.

I've done both Iona and Britannia on FD now and had no issues.  You simply keep an eye size of the queue on the app.  There is barely any queue if you want to dine early or late.  In the popular hours, 7-8pm-ish, you can simply enjoy a drink on your balcony or in a bar whilst you wait.  You get used to it very soon.  It's just not a good option for those who want to eat the moment they think about it or those who choose not to embrace modern technology and use the app.  If you want a table quicker, you can always elect to share a table too.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BertieRulesOK said:

I've found that the people on this P&O forum are inclined to be grumpy and there is a bias of over reporting of issues with Freedom Dining.  Yes, there have been one or two outlier cruises where something went wrong with the app - but the vast majority are fine and I wouldn't let tales from the moaners put you off.

I've done both Iona and Britannia on FD now and had no issues.  You simply keep an eye size of the queue on the app.  There is barely any queue if you want to dine early or late.  In the popular hours, 7-8pm-ish, you can simply enjoy a drink on your balcony or in a bar whilst you wait.  You get used to it very soon.  It's just not a good option for those who want to eat the moment they think about it or those who choose not to embrace modern technology and use the app.  If you want a table quicker, you can always elect to share a table too.

The OP is nervous because of her own personal experience in May not because of "grumpiness" by others no matter how true your observation may be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BertieRulesOK said:

I'm one of the moaners I think after a bad experience.  Am crossing fingers and toes it is better next time.

• Like 1