Island Princess-Emerald Deck-Aft

Teechur

Have any of you C.C. members stayed in E-701 through E-715? Emerald deck, starboard side, aft.

1. Is there a lot more vibration than in other areas of the ship? Is it constant/excessive or only during docking?

2. Are there 4 chairs on the balconies instead of two?

3. Much soot/noise?

4. Are the beds decent or worn out?

We've been invited to bid for upgrades. These balcony cabins are 234 sq. ft. so we wouldn't gain much moving to a Premium Balcony (244 Sq ft.), and we would likely lose the "completely covered" aspect. (Traveling to Iceland.)  Would it be worth it? 

• Like 1

I have read positive reports about those newer cabins (part of the expanded cabin build when Island was refurbished some years back - much to the dismay and consternation of many long-time guests).  There is no soot issue with Island - I have never read of a soot issue other than with the first Royal Class ships.  Bed wear can vary, depending on when last replaced, etc.  If your individual mattress is a problem, speak to Stewart and escalate if necessary.  Hope you get a recent first-hand report.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I have read positive reports about those newer cabins (part of the expanded cabin build when Island was refurbished some years back - much to the dismay and consternation of many long-time guests).  There is no soot issue with Island - I have never read of a soot issue other than with the first Royal Class ships.  Bed wear can vary, depending on when last replaced, etc.  If your individual mattress is a problem, speak to Stewart and escalate if necessary.  Hope you get a recent first-hand report.

Thanks for replying! I was wondering if these are new cabins, since cabins existed in this location before the refit. Cabins were added above them, but comparing old and new pictures, it's hard to tell. I guess the question is whether or not they were replaced?

My main concern is vibration at night. 

1 minute ago, Teechur said:

Thanks for replying! I was wondering if these are new cabins, since cabins existed in this location before the refit. Cabins were added above them, but comparing old and new pictures, it's hard to tell. I guess the question is whether or not they were replaced?

My main concern is vibration at night. 

Oh, sorry, I am thinking of Promenade - Deck 7.  No, Deck 8 are not new.  I have read of some vibration in parts of Deck 7 aft.  Hope you get a better answer for Deck 8.  I am thinking not an issue.

26 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Oh, sorry, I am thinking of Promenade - Deck 7.  No, Deck 8 are not new.  I have read of some vibration in parts of Deck 7 aft.  Hope you get a better answer for Deck 8.  I am thinking not an issue.

After reading your post, I looked at the before and after photos. It doesn't look like they could have slipped cabins in on deck 7 aft, without removing the cabins on Deck 8 first. I'm hoping we have new cabins as I've read that they have slightly larger showers and TVs mounted on the wall in front of the beds.

20 minutes ago, Teechur said:

After reading your post, I looked at the before and after photos. It doesn't look like they could have slipped cabins in on deck 7 aft, without removing the cabins on Deck 8 first. I'm hoping we have new cabins as I've read that they have slightly larger showers and TVs mounted on the wall in front of the beds.

I have no idea how the actual construction was done, but sister ship Coral has identical cabins on Deck 8 aft.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that so little is posted on this subforum regarding the Island Princess since it hosts many of the RTW cruises and operates on a year-round schedule. Do those cruisers not spend time of this board? Previously, I inquired if anyone had anything to share about the Island, and it was "crickets". 😴