Christmas on Norwegian Gem

MMinogue

My husband and I will be cruising to the Panama Canal over Christmas this year. I was wondering if anyone has ever taken this cruise before and what to expect for a cruise over Christmas. Any details would be great. Thank you

2 hours ago, MMinogue said:

My husband and I will be cruising to the Panama Canal over Christmas this year. I was wondering if anyone has ever taken this cruise before and what to expect for a cruise over Christmas. Any details would be great. Thank you

I’ve taken a Christmas/New Years cruise on QM2 - New York to Eastern Caribbean - ship was beautifully decorated with lots of seasonal activities - but it seemed somehow a bit hollow - I prefer Christmas at home.

We’ve also taken a HAL cruise from FL to the Panama Canalfascinating, but aside from the Canal, the other ports were dreary.

We’ve also sailed Norwegian Gem - New York to Caribbean in January.  The ship felt very crowded - very high ratio of passengers to available space (common on NCL ships) - also there was some sort of school break - meaning a lot of teens on board. That finished NCL for us— there are too many other options.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Christmas on any Norwegian ship over Christmas is magically.  Christmas decorations and music everywhere.  Very elaborate Gingerbread villages sculpted by the Executive Chef and his staff (I would guess some of them are in the planning stages now).

Traditonal christmas dinner complete with green bean casserole.

On Christmas Eve, the hotel Senior Officers go through the ship singing Christmas carols ending with a tree lighting ceremony in the lobby.  On Christmas morning Santa arrives with gifts for all the kids.  Lots of families dress in matching pajamas- Grandparents to the youngest members.  Very fun to watch.

I love Christmas cruiseson any Norwegian ship.

Enjoy

• Like 1

We did Royal Caribbean through Panama Canal at Christmas several years ago.  Wonderful cruise, I was blown away by all the festivities.  However, we have no children and our families live in snow country, so we are always amusing ourselves at Christmas.  I'd do that cruise again in a heartbeat ... don't remember much about the ports except for Miraflores where the monster ships go through the lock right in front of your face.  I could have spent two days there absorbing it all.   

Christmas on the Gem....Oh Man. What a wonderful time. All of the ships do it right, though the smaller ships really make it special for families. The gingerbread houses all over the ships, decorations at each restaurants, festive outfits, and just a wonderful feeling. The crew are really missing their kids so each child on board really gets a lot of love and rather adopted for the holiday. 

We always try and add something festive into our usual tips - a little ornament, stocking, light-up necklace. The crew rooms aren't large but a little token goes a long way. 

Here's kiddo helping to decorate one of the trees on the Gem. He still talks about it and it's a wonderful memory. 

Warmest, Amy

Ronan Gem.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We spent Christmas & New Years 2019 - 2020 on the Gem but not that itinerary.   The ship is beautifully decorated.  Many other passengers wore highly festive attire -- lots of red plaid, "ugly" Christmas sweaters, totally matchy-matchy families, blinking Christmas light necklaces etc.   After that cruise DH never said another word when I ask him to wear festive holiday themed socks.  He was tad taken aback by some of the over the top outfits.  

There was caroling in the atrium with Santa on Christmas Eve.  Christmas dinner had choices of all the classics.  The menus -- even in the included dinning rooms -- were stepped up for the holidays.  There were plenty of two-somes like DH & I so we didn't feel lonely among the larger family groups.  

New Years aboard ship is always enchanting.  All holiday decorations will usually be down by January 2.  It's amazing that overnight the stuff just disappears.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My family cruise aboard the Ruby Princess last Christmas... our kids were 18, 16, 12 & 11 while on board. The ship was beautifully decorated for the holidays, there was lots of Christmas music, full Christmas dinner on Christmas day and Santa even visited with a gift for all kids 12 and under. 

That being said, for us ultimately we felt it was strange to be on a ship and not at home doing what we traditionally do at Christmas and as another posted mentioned above, it felt a bit hollow and not like Christmas at all. 

The seas were really rough beginning when we left port on Christmas Eve and two of our kids had to retire early because they were sea sick. My 16 year old was still so sick on Christmas day she didn't even get out of bed so to be fair, this coloured the entire experience. 

It was truly unique and we're glad we tried it but we will plan on staying home at Christmas for the foreseeable future. 

We are on Epic Christmas week this year.  We have never been away for the holiday and wanted to try something different. Instead of hosting both Christmas Eve (7 fishes) and Christmas Day we will be relaxing on the ship.

My wife’s birthday is on Christmas so for once I wanted it to be relaxing for her.  

Kids are 8 and 9 and barely believe in Santa, so despite our little lies about when gifts will be delivered this may be the end. 

• Like 1