Not quite Live, but a Regal trip report (7/7 to 7/19)

captain_hug99

Day 16: sad Mickey day

We got up early, had our final breakfast, brought our handbags, waited for our bus to the airport and then WAITED for our plane. 

Regal Princess Ship review:

The excellent: the staff!!!  All the staff were amazing and paid attention to detail. 

Our room was good. Decent size, we had a balcony. For this cruise, we had an even numbered stateroom which was great because most of the time, we were docked on our side and could hear the local music played on the docks at the end of our port.

The Good: the ship! It was gorgeous! We could always get a table for anytime dining in the main dining room. Sometimes we shared, but mostly we ate together. 

I will say, the ship is confusing, there were times we would try to get from the back to the front and couldn’t in certain places, it took more time to figure out the ship than I expected. 

The food was good, there were a few bright spots, a couple of items that were OK, overall, the food was good. 

The bad: the comforter on the bed and temperature in the room. It was warm. We considered leaving the balcony door open some nights because it was so warm, we were not on a warm weather cruise. We definitely would have liked a lighter blanket. 

There were times in the dining room we would want a drink from the bar and that process wasn’t always easy.

While the ship was beautiful and well appointed, I did NOT like the layout. This was a cooler weather itinerary, I expected a place that would be enclosed to watch the ocean in the front or the rear of the ship. Unfortunately, this class of ship doesn’t have something like that. 

The ugly: The stupid motion sensor light near the bathroom. OMG, why does it need to be so bright??? Ridiculous! We even tried to cover the sensor and somehow Reed was able to make it go off at night. 

The placement of the toilet paper roll, it was behind you in an odd way where you’d have to reach under the sink at a weird angle. 

Misc:

Things I brought that I’m really glad that I did:

Waterproof hikers- not necessarily because you’ll be walking near water, but due to the rain

Sneakers- I needed to NOT be in my waterproof hikers every other day

Quick dry shirts, shorts, pants- we’d get a “soft rain” or short burst, they’d dry quickly

Tide pods- though I wish we brought more

Things I wish I brought:

A plain black nice shirt- I didn’t have anything in between my day wear and formal wear

My nice dress shoes- I wore my keens for formal night, whoops!

Sunscreen- I bought it on the ship and holy crow, $20 for one can?

Camelback- I brought a water bottle, debated the bladder, I should have just brought it, it would have been better than unhooking my water bottle over and over again.

We didn’t change any cash into Euros or pounds. Everything was tap and go!

I brought my nice camera, I also had my wide angle lens and my zoom lens.

• Like 4

Thank you for your excellent review.  One question:  In Belfast, you stated that the Titanic Museum is a 3 mile walk from the cruise port.  Were there taxis available to take people directly from the ship to the museum?  Our time slot is 9:30 AM.  DW cannot walk that far.  Our plan was to walk to the museum, do the tour, and then take a taxi around Belfast to see the wall, etc. and return to the ship.  I guess I have to think of getting there another way.  Thanks, Bill

18 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Thank you for your excellent review.  One question:  In Belfast, you stated that the Titanic Museum is a 3 mile walk from the cruise port.  Were there taxis available to take people directly from the ship to the museum?  Our time slot is 9:30 AM.  DW cannot walk that far.  Our plan was to walk to the museum, do the tour, and then take a taxi around Belfast to see the wall, etc. and return to the ship.  I guess I have to think of getting there another way.  Thanks, Bill

I saw taxis there, but don't know if they were pre-arranged. I would find one to bring you to the museum. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for sharing. Your reviews were excellent. We are doing this cruise next year this time and your reviews will help us plan our days. We've been on the Regal so aren't expecting to have too many wrong turns. There were no sensor lights but we always take a touch light to leave on in the dressing area so will see how it suits us. Like you I miss the Skywalker lounge. Your pictures are lovely and are helping to convince me to keep taking my good camera. Everyone is saying the phone cameras are so good these days that that is all you need but I really don't want to risk it. We've had a few frantic non-Princess excursions where the stress levels maxed out so now just pay the big bucks to Princess. Thanks so much for your wrap up comments.

20 hours ago, ssawjo said:

I was in Belfast in May.

A couple cabs were at the port, just a couple parties & me in line for them.

Easiest way to see Belfast is the Hop On Hop Off Bus--it was brilliant! 

It was about $25 for a day pass.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, captain_hug99 said:

I saw taxis there, but don't know if they were pre-arranged. I would find one to bring you to the museum. 

Thanks for your TR.

I did a lot of these ports in May. 

My Scottish highland tour was also amazing, as was my HOHO tour of Belfast.

I am taking tips from you as DH & I will be doing this cruise next April--I can take him to the things I loved & see the things I didn't! 

(sadly no Belfast next April; but we do get Greenock AND Edinburgh while we only stopped in Greenock)

Edited by KKB

@captain_hug99 Thanks for your entertaining review. 
I also find the comforter to be too warm. When we meet our Steward on the first day, we always request a top sheet. It goes under the duvet. I point that out, because once, the steward make up the bed with the top sheet on top of comforter.  ( and I am still laughing about it). 

• Like 1