Uber from Messina to Taormina

megs193

Has anyone used Uber to get to and from Taormina when docked in Messina?  We are traveling as a family of four and we want to explore on our own but would also like more than 3 hours in Taormina. I searched on Uber and it was available now. I just don’t want to get to Taormina and not be able to get back to the cruise. Thanks!

Uber in Italy is not the same set up as in the States.  They have outlawed the amateur driver with a private car model that is the basic Uber strategy.

Each individual city or area in Italy negotiates a contract with Uber to be a connection platform.  In Rome you are connected to a private car service, in Naples the connection is to regular taxis.

I don't know what the set up is in Messina.  I would risk it for the outbound (Messina to Taormina) trip but I'd be sure to have a backup in place for the return.

There are bus and train options as a backup.

24 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Uber in Italy is not the same set up as in the States.  They have outlawed the amateur driver with a private car model that is the basic Uber strategy.

Each individual city or area in Italy negotiates a contract with Uber to be a connection platform.  In Rome you are connected to a private car service, in Naples the connection is to regular taxis.

I don't know what the set up is in Messina.  I would risk it for the outbound (Messina to Taormina) trip but I'd be sure to have a backup in place for the return.

There are bus and train options as a backup.

Thanks!  I just looked up the trains and it seems like this is a good option for getting back to the cruise terminal if Uber isn’t an option back. 

For the train option, a few notes:

• Trenitalia is the only operator on this route
  • The station nearest Taormina is called Taormina-Giardini
  • Messina Centrale is three quarters of a mile, on foot, from the cruise terminal
  • From Taormina Centro you can get a bus to the train station, either by purchasing a ticket from Trenitalia starting from Taormina Centro, or individually
  • You can also walk down to the train station on Via Madonna delle Grazie (assuming it is open, check before relying on this because storms can wash it out).  If it's open the route is almost straight downhill, total distance is less than a mile

For more info on the train, see the train operator's site here:  EN - Trenitalia

• Like 1

The Trenitalia site will tell you what time the train should depart/arrive.  Allow for some slack.  And be careful to put in the. right date when searching for timing because in Italy service on Saturday and Sunday are not the same as during the week.