A Windstar review for comparison purposes

Leejnd4

I just returned from the March 4-11 Windstar Costa Rica cruise. As a RSSC fan, I was really curious to see how the two cruise lines compared. I wrote up a review that gives some detailed comparisons between the two. If you are interested, it's posted over in the Windstar forum. Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=315021

I'd also be happy to answer any questions you may have about how the two lines differ. :)

LeeAnne

Nice, balanced review. We've been on the Wind Surf and the RSSC Navigator. They're very different from each other, but both were great.

Our Windstar sailing was in the Med. At night we were so happy about the food and service, and so tired from running around the ports, that we didn't mind the lack of enterntainment. The itinerary was the entertainment. The one piece of Windstar entertainment we could have done without was the playing of the theme from the movie "1492" at every sailaway. On a two week cruise, that got old very fast. Was that the music that you begged to hear?

As great as RSSC is, nothing quite compares to being under sail!

Yep, that was the music! LOL! I can see how it might get annoying if they did it at every sailaway, but our problem was, they hadn't done it at ALL. So we staged a mutiny. It was a nice touch to our last night.

I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I believe that Windstar could be a great alternative for those of us who prefer the luxury cruise lines, if they would only change a few thing (like going more inclusive). RSSC has realized what the discriminating cruiser wants, as evidenced by their extending their own inclusions. I really think Windstar is making a mistake by not doing so. We had a wonderful time, but I sure hated signing all those stupid chits.

LeeAnne

The interesting thing about Windstar is that they have tried a few all inclusives, but they didn't extend them to the line in general. We were in the Med., as noted, so we bought wine at almost every port. Sometimes Windstar charged us corkage, sometimes not. In the Caribbean, the so-so wine list would be a problem. Yes, chits are annoying, a charge for water even more annoying. On the Wind Surf, the food was simpler than on the Navigator, but almost as good. The pumpkin tajine served near Morocco was to die for-best vegetarian dish we ever had. In the Med., there was a seafood buffet in addition to the barbecue on the Wind Surf, and the food was terrific!

What a wonderful review! Thanks.

We've done several Windstar cruises, and agree that the sound of the sails can't be beat.

I appreciate your comparing it to RSSC, especially since we hope to take our first RSSC cruise soon. What is attracting me to RSSC is the lack of nickel and diming, and the professional service. I also am seeking more privacy than that afforded by being on a Windstar ship.

My last Windstar trip was a 14 day Tahiti/Marquesas trip, and it was wonderful. Yet, I did miss a balcony, and I found that the food was often ordinary. Plus the dining room was very, very noisy, which I attributed more to the design of the ship than the conviviality of its passengers!

Pincus

You know what? That's a great point that I forgot to include in my review! The dining room was VERY noisy, so much so that we commented on it several times. we were constantly having to lean forward to hear each other at dinner. One time we were at a table for six, and the guys were on one side and the gals on the other. It ended up being like a chick and dude bonding experience -- meaning, the chicks mostly only talked to the chicks, and the dudes to the dudes! It was just too noisy to try to talk across the table. LOL!

I wonder if there is something they could do to help the accoustics in that room?

LeeAnne

LeeAnne, perhaps they could. Even some acoustical tiles might help.

It's hard for me to find any elegance or luxury in a room as crowded and loud as a cafeteria. Dining is hardly appetizing.

I did mention this my on my evaluation, but perhaps I was the only one! :)

Pincus

Hey LeeAnne

Welcome home. Glad you had a nice cruise. From what I can gather from listening to my brother in law and from your review, the 2 smaller Windstar ships sound like a better experience than the larger Wind Surf that we were on.

I was also struck be how nice and how attentive the crew was. Management, no but crew, absolutely.

See you in Nov on the Mariner.

Rick

Sounds like you had a very enjoyable cruise. Good review! I found it very interesting that you commented that there was not much room for privacy unless you retreated to your cabin. That to me would be one very big difference between Regent and Windstar. I also noted that the chef was not too co-operative on some occasions. Would you say form your recollection of the menus that there would be much for a vegetarian to choose from?

Thanks!

Pat

Archived