QM2 WB crossing before Xmas - storms ?

amythompson62

Hi there,

Trying to get a handle on North Atlantic weather in the run up to Xmas as considering a westbound crossing arriving into New York on the 22nd Dec.

Seem to be seeing conflicting advice - between the Cunard website stating if you want calm conditions go for December through May; to online forums suggesting December is when the storm chasers get the good deals and go in search of rough weather ! 

Which is it ? I appreciate weather is unpredictable but there are always patterns - I know you can never be guaranteed but I’m not so keen on splurging on what will probably be a one-time event for us if there’s (on balance) a strong probability that conditions will be miserable…. 

Is it a case that there’s always a chance of a rogue remnant hurricane forming at the backside of the hurricane season that heads north - or something driven from the polar regions ???

any advice appreciated ! 

amy 

It is the North Atlantic. There are storms all through the year. We went at the end of November and it was foggy but not rough. We went in June and it was rough but bright. Just go. It’s worth it.

On the Roll Call for this trip,

@frankp01 (who has done 6 Christmas crossings), made this obvservation:

"We were on one December crossing where the winds were so bad the promenade deck remained closed the entire voyage. We were also on one December trip where it was so calm, and relatively warm, that we actually went for a swim in the outdoor pool. On most of our December crossings the decks have been open at least a few days, if not all."

This was specifically about usability of the promenade deck, but perhaps he'll chime in on the more general topic.

21 minutes ago, amythompson62 said:

I’m not so keen on splurging on what will probably be a one-time event for us if there’s (on balance) a strong probability that conditions will be miserable….

Honestly, I don't think there's a way to predict. We've done the same December crossing 3 or 4 times (and again this December). TouchsteoneFeste quoted one summary of ours above. If the weather's bad, then it's an exciting experience, watching the waves crash up over the 3rd deck windows. If the weather's good, then you get to enjoy the promenade. They're both valid experiences, and I wouldn't let the weather dictate whether I sailed in December, or not.

If you are considering this as a one time event ‘splurge’ then you can do no better than a December crossing! As already stated the weather can’t be predicted - other than it will be cold in December and have shorter daylight hours.  The December crossings are unique in terms of festive decorations/activities and amazing atmosphere. The QM2 can hold her own in all weathers but go for a mid ship lower deck if concerned about movement.

• Like 1

It all depends on where your cabin is on a rough crossing.  The QM2 really is magnificent in rough seas.  However, if your on deck 12 in cabin 12001 that isn’t going to work as well as say 4124 if you get my point.

We did a December crossing and absolutely loved it.  A proper transatlantic crossing on an ocean liner doing what it is designed to do.

43 minutes ago, amythompson62 said:

Thanks all! Have just bit the bullet and booked - rear midships, deck 8... very exciting !! We're sailors and don't generally get seasick - but this is a totally new kind of thing for us so who knows ! Amy 

Please note that many of the balcony staterooms on Deck 8 are obstructed views with lifeboats, if that matters to you. 

We've completed crossings at this time of year twice and neither time did we have uncomfortable weather.  However...this is the North Atlantic and it is often stormy in December.  The Queen Mary can handle the storms, but can you handle them?  If you are very sensitive to motion sickness, this might not be the best choice for you.  If you are OK with some exciting, dramatic, and fun motion, then you will be OK.  And you might have the same experience as we did and have no drama at all.

• Like 2

We have done the December westbound TA four times.

Once, the seas were rough enough (I'm remembering 10 meter, or 30+ feet, waves, but it was several years back) to cause issues with a lot of people. Ingesting ginger and lying down briefly took care of my personal issue, but a few others were more dramatically affected.

Once, the weather was sunny and pleasant enough that there were a good number of people lounging around the aft pool, as opposing the the scattered handful of hardy souls normally there in December.

The other two times, conditions were somewhere in the middle. Last year, there was a lot of rain but a fairly calm ocean.

If you are not especially prone to seasickness, December crossing are great.