Number of Bottles of Wine Allowed to be Carried Onboard

hernando52

My husband & I plan to bring two bottles of wine each in our carry-ons when we embark in Rome for our Sept. cruise to the Greek Isles & some ports in Italy.    Earlier this summer there were threads on CC with posts about bar service not being available when in Greek ports, and we want to enjoy our wine on the balcony or at dinner before we depart each stop. We have the drink package so no worries about corkage fees.  Just want to know if 2 bottles of wine each being brought onboard at embarkation is ok with NCL. 

You can bring on as much as you can carry.

The bar service issue in Greece appears to have now been resolved if you have the beverage package, although there is no guarantee that it won’t resurface again. It has in the past.

Edited by KeithJenner

Unless things have changed, you still have to pay the corkage fee for the privilege of bringing the wine aboard.   It used to be that you went through magnetometers at embarkation & then were directed to a table when they detected the bottles.  At the table you gave your name & cabin # & they gave you a bar receipt for $15 per bottle which later showed up on your stateroom bill.   if your luggage went to the "naughty room" the same table was there but there you had your key card so you swiped for the same charge.  It's not about where you drink the wine (on your balcony v the dining room) but the fact that you brought the wone aboard.  Similarly if you buy wine in port when you reboard the ship, they take it from you & hold it 'til the last night or you pay for it then.   You are paying to not cut into their profits. 

Granted it's been a while, but we ended up with favorite bartenders.  Even though they aren't supposed to give you 2 drinks, if I said we were going to the cabin to enjoy wine on the balcony, I'd get generous pours & 2 glasses, once of which would be covered in plastic wrap so I could stick it in the 'fridge.  

2 minutes ago, trish1c said:

Unless things have changed, you still have to pay the corkage fee for the privilege of bringing the wine aboard.   

Things have changed.  Suggest you review the FAQ on NCL website.  Search for NCL wine policy. 

No corkage fee if one has the beverage package.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, trish1c said:

Unless things have changed, you still have to pay the corkage fee for the privilege of bringing the wine aboard.

Things have changed quite a while ago.   If you have a drink package, which the OP does, you do not have to pay corkage on any wine you bring onboard.

• Like 2

That is very good to know!  I'm surprised they changed it but it may change the dynamic of my next cruise.  I was never fond of the wine by the glass options on NCL.  

In that case I suggest the OP invest in a wine tote.  I have a sturdy cardboard one my local liquor store sells for a quarter but I also have a canvas tote with internal dividers.  Both hold 6 bottles of wine.  I used one on our last cruise. . .. which was the embarkation experience I described back then 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trish1c said:

That is very good to know!  I'm surprised they changed it but it may change the dynamic of my next cruise.  I was never fond of the wine by the glass options on NCL.  

I guess people with a drink package have already paid upfront for their booze so if they choose to not drink what is included and bring their own wine, NCL is not losing any money on them and is actually saving money so it makes sense. We're boarding our next cruise in Lisbon. May pick up a few bottles of Vinho Verde before we board......if *(and this is a big if!) we can be bothered carrying them.....

4 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

My questions would be-- how do you safely transport wine on an international flight in a carry-on and would your airline carrier allow it?

You can't, in a carry-on. It has to be put into your checked luggage.

1 minute ago, www3traveler said:

My questions would be-- how do you safely transport wine on an international flight in a carry-on and would your airline carrier allow it?

You can't cary on with wine you'd bring to the airport... this would violate liquid limits and would be confiscated at security. 

You can carry on full bottles of wine, but it requires shopping at the duty free, post-security. Most duty free stores now have tamper bags, and you keep your purchased wine in the secure bag for the duration of travel. This allows you to take your duty free liquor/wine through most security checkpoints if you happen to have an international connection. 

• Like 1