Iona August First Time Solo Cruise - Concerns

Samrennie

47 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I laminate our labels.  You can get three labels into one A4 lamination pocket.  Hole punch each end, and secure with an India Tag.

Doh, I've already ordered the amazon tags. And we have a laminator.

(I've got a B&W laser printer, can't be doing with waiting 3 weeks for a print out or remortgaging the house every five pages)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Samrennie said:

Gosh, i haven’t thought about the luggage labels, but will be on Amazon shortly looking at the Hemto ones! I also like the sellotape/stapler combination but that will be a bit of a faff for when coming home. 

ParisHilton - i looked at the excursions but didn’t decide on anything due to budget, i may well just stay in the ports and wander around each time, if people have got any specific ideas on what to do in each port, which doesn’t need a paid excursion, that would be great!

We are on a budget too.

But I'm not staying on board longer than I have to.

Training for a half marathon so there will be one run at least involved.

Also eyeying up the golf course if Stavanger. I don't golf, but we might pitch n putt or foot golf.

Also looking to see if there's some bowls or croquet.  Stavanger seems to be the only place large enough that there's stuff for locals to do that we can afford to join in with.  Annoyingly it's at the start of the trip.

• Like 1

There's a bowling green in Stavanger too. Not sure if open\available to public when we're there.

And a McDonald's. Educational at least for the kids to see one abroad.  Might use it as introduction to exchange rates .... 

A bit niche too, but the Norweigan Oil and Gas museum is about £10, which personally interests me.

(Again Stavanger)

This is now becoming my Iona on a shoestring thread....

26 minutes ago, ParisHilton said:

There's a bowling green in Stavanger too. Not sure if open\available to public when we're there.

And a McDonald's. Educational at least for the kids to see one abroad.  Might use it as introduction to exchange rates .... 

A bit niche too, but the Norweigan Oil and Gas museum is about £10, which personally interests me.

(Again Stavanger)

This is now becoming my Iona on a shoestring thread....

The museum is great. The kids will love it too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ParisHilton said:

I know they provide towels , but are there dressing gowns provided?

Hi ParisHilton

I don’t think so, unless you have a suite. I’m sure i read somewhere that they are provided for Suites so assume not for any other cabins. 

A regular cruiser may be along to confirm this though!

Thanks

• Like 1

I’m thinking raincoat and umbrellas may be the order of the day looking at the long range forecast, hoping the scenery will be just as beautiful though!

Sam is just my username, not my real name, when signing up is says not to use real names, I’m guessing for security reasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samrennie said:

I’m thinking raincoat and umbrellas may be the order of the day looking at the long range forecast, hoping the scenery will be just as beautiful though!

Sam is just my username, not my real name, when signing up is says not to use real names, I’m guessing for security reasons. 

I've just been watching some youtube and raincoats are definitely the order of the day.

I ignored the signup info. I'm definitely Paris H 🙂

--edit-- I expect to be using the laundrette drying facilites too.  Sounds dull, but have good memories of hanging out in uni halls' laundrettes after one or two drinks !

Edited by ParisHilton
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Samrennie said:

Regatta are selling out fast, but have some raincoats in their sale .

Hi Paris

I’m not sure about the coaches, it would make sense that the coaches are for only that cruise but don’t know for certain. I’m coming down by car, so will have to juggle the timing as i know if i get there too early i will have to wait in a queue but don’t want to get stuck in traffic around Southampton!

2 hours ago, ParisHilton said:

Do any of you lovely people know if they have floats or noodles available in the pools?

I love floating about a pool and will get an inflatable if not.

Nothing is provided by the ship.  Be aware the pools are actually quite small with not much room if it's a busy cruise.  A noodle might be okay but your fellow guests might not be too keen on you having anything large..

30 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Nothing is provided by the ship.  Be aware the pools are actually quite small with not much room if it's a busy cruise.  A noodle might be okay but your fellow guests might not be too keen on you having anything large..

My wife says I have no fear of upsetting anyone with something large in the pool .......

(thx for the reply though , have found an inflatable hammock thing that won't take up much space)

• Haha 1