Classical Music Currently

foodsvcmgr

1 hour ago, Gallivanter'sGal said:

We're currently on the VOV cruise on the Zuiderdam and they now have the Classical Duo which consists of a pianist and cellist. They are playing 3 sets per day and rotate like the other groups. They are excellent so I hope they will be added to all of HAL's ships. 

That's good to hear. VOV is a longer cruise, and HAL tends to do more for those. I hope they extend classical music tor the shorter cruises.

I just got off Eurodam this summer, and was extremely disappointed at the elimination of LCS and the classical quartet- this has always been the #1 highlight for me. I was on Eurodam in September 2022 and the Rotterdam February 2023, and LCS was very well-attended at each performance, plus their appearance at least once on the Main Theatre stage. This really is going to be a deal-breaker for me about remaining loyal to HAL. I’m ready to book a trans-Atlantic, and was so looking forward to nightly classical recitals on that long voyage. Which cruise lines should I look into for regular classical /piano performances? Was thinking of trying out Celebrity again, as I think they have a pianist performing most evenings prior to dinner. What other lines should I consider?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, panther61 said:

Which cruise lines should I look into for regular classical /piano performances? Was thinking of trying out Celebrity again, as I think they have a pianist performing most evenings prior to dinner. What other lines should I consider?

There's always Cunard if you are fine with dressing up every other night.

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/activity-types/daytime/classical-concerts

1 hour ago, panther61 said:

Which cruise lines should I look into for regular classical /piano performances?

Oceania has regular (daily) classical music. I'm leaving for my first cruise on them in in a few days and will report back.

I agree LCS is a sad loss for HAL and one that really does impact my view of whether to cruise an otherwise attractive itinerary.

• Like 1

We loved HAL for classical music and were thrilled that they made the commitment to LCS as other lines were decreasing classic music. Now they’re all similar. 

We were on Rotterdam in late February/March saying goodbye to the excellent LCS musicians. Our next cruise will not have classical music so HAL is no longer a first choice for us - it’s now timing, price, embarkation port and itinerary.  Our next cruise is on NCL. Now they are all more or less the same.