Nontransferrable Voucher Question

LisaDee

My friend and I each have nontransferrable vouchers from a late price drop.  They are expiring soon.  My friend isn’t able to sail before the expiration date.  My question is, if I book a cruise for the two of us sharing a cabin with the 2 vouchers and she doesn’t show up, will there be any financial impact to me?  In other words, am I able to get around the nontransferrable aspect of the voucher this way?  I’m looking for solo rates but haven’t found any good ones other than guarantee Oceanview cabins which I don’t want.  Will the cabin still be charged the free at sea gratuities and port charges for the 2nd guest if she doesn’t show up?

Thanks!

Guest 2 will get refunded port taxes, fees, gratuities on Free at Sea, other purchased items. But, Guest 2 still pays 100% of their cruise fare. So, If the cruise fare was $1000 (regardless on how it was paid for - cash + voucher), you guest 2 still lose $1000. You pay for the room, even if you don't show up to sleep in it. 

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Guest 2 will get refunded port taxes, fees, gratuities on Free at Sea, other purchased items. But, Guest 2 still pays 100% of their cruise fare. So, If the cruise fare was $1000 (regardless on how it was paid for - cash + voucher), you guest 2 still lose $1000. You pay for the room, even if you don't show up to sleep in it. 

I understand that the cruise fare for guest 2 is forfeited, but she was going to let the voucher expire anyways.  I just wanted to make sure they wouldn’t then make ME (guest 1) fork over more money when she doesn’t show up.

Edit to add: the cruise fare is about = voucher so I’m not out any extra cash.

Edited by LisaDee

1 hour ago, LisaDee said:

I understand that the cruise fare for guest 2 is forfeited, but she was going to let the voucher expire anyways.  I just wanted to make sure they wouldn’t then make ME (guest 1) fork over more money when she doesn’t show up.

Edit to add: the cruise fare is about = voucher so I’m not out any extra cash.

6 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

So she is ok paying for a cruise and not going.  I don’t think I can wrap my head around that. 

The way I read it is she is planning on going solo either way. She is essentially ready to pay the single supplement, and was wanting to use her soon-to-be-expiring friend's FCC to take some more money off the fare. If I'm wrong I'll slink away quietly... 🙂

Additionally she is worried that if her friends don't show she will have to pay back NCL the used FCC since the person it belongs to won't be on the ship.

(I have no idea on how they would handle this...)

Edited by Grimix
Adding info

8 minutes ago, Grimix said:

The way I read it is she is planning on going solo either way. She is essentially ready to pay the single supplement, and was wanting to use her soon-to-be-expiring friend's FCC to take some more money off the fare. If I'm wrong I'll slink away quietly... 🙂

Additionally she is worried that if her friends don't show she will have to pay back NCL the used FCC since the person it belongs to won't be on the ship.

(I have no idea on how they would handle this...)

That is the way I am reading it too and I also have no idea what would happen. 

7 minutes ago, Grimix said:

Yes, exactly.  I’m going solo but if I book my friend in my cabin I can use her voucher (that she will never use) to cover half the cabin cost.  Otherwise, I’d have to pay the solo supplement and it would cost me my voucher plus another $1K for the solo supplement.  Any downsides or risks that I’m missing?  Thanks!

16 hours ago, LisaDee said:

My friend and I each have nontransferrable vouchers from a late price drop.  They are expiring soon.  My friend isn’t able to sail before the expiration date.  My question is, if I book a cruise for the two of us sharing a cabin with the 2 vouchers and she doesn’t show up, will there be any financial impact to me?  In other words, am I able to get around the nontransferrable aspect of the voucher this way?  I’m looking for solo rates but haven’t found any good ones other than guarantee Oceanview cabins which I don’t want.  Will the cabin still be charged the free at sea gratuities and port charges for the 2nd guest if she doesn’t show up?

Thanks!

I doubt this has happened often enough for anyone to comment for certain.  My GUESS is that you would slip thru the system and get away with it by doing this.  I doubt NCL has a process in place to prevent it.  But that is just a guess.  Good luck.  I hope it works for you if you try it!

Edited by MeHeartCruising