Internet access

M&A

A question about the internet packages.   If it states one device, does that mean one device at a time or just one device.  ie can I log on with my Iphone and then log out and then log into my chromebook?  or do I need to buy the two device package?   

7 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Need to buy two device package.

Okay,  just that on my last cruise on Carnival I bought the one device internet and as long as I logged out of one and then I could log on to the other device.  It was one device, but one device at a time

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

On MSC, one device means one device. You cannot switch between devices, even if you only use one at a time. If you have a phone that can hotspot wifi, I strongly recommend making that your one device.

This ☝️is exactly how it works.
MSC is only cruise line I’ve seen that imposes this limitation. 
don’t like it but it is what it is. 

Once you register a device you can't change that device to any other device for the duration of the cruise. Perhaps tech savvy person could spoof MAC addresses or however they tie the service to that single device, good luck. 

Edited by Brighton Line

50 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

Once you register a device you can't change that device to any other device for the duration of the cruise. Perhaps tech savvy person could spoof MAC addresses or however they tie the service to that single device, good luck. 

Some Android phones at least will allow you to hotspot wifi (almost all smart phones allow you to hotspot cell service, which isn't helpful in this case). I am able to do it with my Google Pixel 5. So I can make my Google Pixel my "one" device and then I can tether my laptop, kindle, etc. to my phone. So long as my phone is in range, those other devices can connect to my phone and then my phone connects to the internet.

My most recent cruise on NCL allowed me to log-out of one device and log into another, even with the 1-device plan. Indeed, I didn't even need to log-out. When I logged-in to the second device, it asked if I wanted to log-out of the other device.

But I tried this as well on my last MSC cruise. Absolutely not. One device means one device. I made my laptop that device figuring that when in the various ports, my phone could use local cell service. That worked fine. But while at sea, only my laptop was connected.

Can I ask the same question but with regards to YC?  It states in our MSC YC Benefits list on our booking details as:

Premium Internet package (Browse - 2 devices Unlimited Internet Package)

What is missing are the key words 'per person' or 'per cabin'.  It's silent as to how that is applied in the benefits.  DH & I both need our cell phones + a laptop for work purposes so need 2 devices each.  If anyoe can clarify what MSC are actually giving us would be most appreciated!

Thank you for taking the time to clarify what we can expect.  Our confirmation has our 2 names at the top & then a list of things included.  I guess my concern was it was silent about whether it was per person or per cabin but if I apply the assumption that the food and drink package is 'per person' when reading that list, then I guess it would also apply the internet package.  Thanks again for the explanation.