HAL ridiculous fee to cancel transfer

Ingnacious

2 hours ago, whogo said:

I did not realize until after final payment that I had stupidly booked transfers in Fort Lauderdale. Holland America would refund nothing for a cancellation. Let's say it was an outrageous $78 each for what was a $20 taxi fare for two. I told HAL that I might just take the taxi anyway.  Shortly before the cruise, HAL wanted to know if I would use the transfers. I told them I would tell them for $78 each. They did not go for it. We did take the taxi.

Same. Didn't realize when booking TA automatically included the transfers from airport to terminal ( and return). Since we fly in the day before ( or sooner) we don't need the airport transfer to ship. When I called HAL they said "just go back to airport when you check out and the transfer will take you to the cruise ship". The airport was miles from cruise ship ( and hotel) our hotel was blocks. We ate that fee. 

15 hours ago, Mary229 said:

No matter who is transferring us my DH directly observes the luggage storage.  If we are on a group shuttle he steps off at every stop to be sure our luggage is not left at a wrong stop (or that someone accidentally takes our luggage)

Coming home from Toronto after my Great Lakes cruise, I used the ship's transfer to the airport. The bus I was on stopped at only two places, but after most of the people got off the bus at the first stop, they invited the rest of us to get off if we wanted to make sure our luggage was still on the bus. That was reassuring.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mary229 said:

For future regency you can book your debarkation transfers onboard. There is no reason to book them ahead of time.

agents get commission on just about everything done at time of booking so they sometimes build a “package”

Definitely this has been a lesson learned!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, REOVA said:

Same. Didn't realize when booking TA automatically included the transfers from airport to terminal ( and return). Since we fly in the day before ( or sooner) we don't need the airport transfer to ship. When I called HAL they said "just go back to airport when you check out and the transfer will take you to the cruise ship". The airport was miles from cruise ship ( and hotel) our hotel was blocks. We ate that fee. 

I would use that TA again just so they could give me OBC in the amount of the transfers they " bought" for you. Then check to be sure they didn't book any for the new cruise. 😞

While I have never booked transfers at the time of booking, when I used travel agents, they always would ask me if I wanted to include transfers. But I have never been told that if I were to cancel, what the penalties would be. Good to know! 

21 hours ago, syesmar said:

While I have never booked transfers at the time of booking, when I used travel agents, they always would ask me if I wanted to include transfers. But I have never been told that if I were to cancel, what the penalties would be. Good to know! 

Penalties after final payment. But check if cruise fare prices have changed even before final payment to make sure they don't reprice the fare when dropping an item. (If the fare is higher).