How can I insure a cruise booked with a Viking Voucher?

Last Fall (September 2022) I cancelled a Viking River Cruise because of low water levels.  It was still under the Viking policy that let you cancel within a certain time and get the full value of the cruise in a voucher.  It is a significant amount (over $7500 each for 2 of us over $15,000 total).  First payment was made May 2022 - I have until September 2024 to book a new cruise (either river or ocean). 

I know it's too late to get cancel for any reason but I am not comfortable putting $15,000 at risk without some insurance.  Do I have any options for insurance that will allow cancellation if my traveling spouse or I or members of our family (kids, parents, grand kids) have issues and need us or we can't travel (hurt, sick, in the hospital of in the case of a daughter having a baby that we didn't know about when we booked)?  

You insight is appreciated -  right now I have just been thinking I would just book last minute but I am a planner so that is hard

3 hours ago, tzbeach said:

Last Fall (September 2022) I cancelled a Viking River Cruise because of low water levels.  It was still under the Viking policy that let you cancel within a certain time and get the full value of the cruise in a voucher.  It is a significant amount (over $7500 each for 2 of us over $15,000 total).  First payment was made May 2022 - I have until September 2024 to book a new cruise (either river or ocean). 

I know it's too late to get cancel for any reason but I am not comfortable putting $15,000 at risk without some insurance.  Do I have any options for insurance that will allow cancellation if my traveling spouse or I or members of our family (kids, parents, grand kids) have issues and need us or we can't travel (hurt, sick, in the hospital of in the case of a daughter having a baby that we didn't know about when we booked)?  

You insight is appreciated -  right now I have just been thinking I would just book last minute but I am a planner so that is hard

Hi tzbeach,

I wrote about this on my Blog a year ago.

How to Insure a Future Cruise or Travel Credit:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/how-to-insure-a-future-cruise-or-travel-credit/

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1