Embarkation times choice ?

FannyLiz

1 hour ago, FannyLiz said:

Do passengers get any say over embarkation times or are they all pre-allocated ?

If you are using Saga transport, then you will be told when to expect pick-up, and it is unlikely that you can change this (especially if shared transport) so embarkation time depends on car pick-up time. The closer to the port you are, the later the pick-up time.

If you are travelling independently. my recollection is that you are told when the last boarding time is, and when boarding is expected to start, and you arrive at a time of your choice between these two times.

This may have changed, as our last cruise we used Saga transport; somebody with more up-to-date information may be along soon, or you can ask Saga directly..

Previously, with self transport, we arrived fairly early (about 13-14:00, checked in, were given a card with a number on it, and then waited in the departure lounge until "our" number group was called for boarding.

But we never received a fixed embarkation time, so can be pot luck whether you arrive at a quiet time, or just when two coaches have unloaded.

• Thanks 1

"The closer to the port you are, the later the pick-up time"

I don't think this is always the case. We live approximately 100 miles from Dover, and our pick-up time for our June cruise was 11:15. Friends of ours on the same cruise live over twice as far away (approx. 210 miles), and their pick-up time was only fifteen minutes earlier than ours, at 11:00. I may be wrong (and I'm happy to be corrected), but I think that one's level in the Britannia Club may have some bearing on pick-up times.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FannyLiz said:

Thanks. Looks as if I might be quite late boarding as I live 74 miles from the port and am having a single pick up. 

From what I've read, "close" means really, really close. Like, if you live in the environs of Dover and are using Saga transport. 

I was picked up near Heathrow, about 100 miles according to Google Maps, and got a pickup time of about 12:30PM. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FannyLiz said:

Thanks. Looks as if I might be quite late boarding as I live 74 miles from the port and am having a single pick up. 

Not in our case... we're just over 70 miles away and we were on early afternoon on the last cruise and in time for an early lunch on the last one.

Unless you are over Platinum level, I very much doubt that being a Britannia Club member has any bearing on pick-up times.

The main priority is making sure everybody gets on board in good time, so FatBoy20 has summed it up perfectly - your pick-up time depends not just on how far away you are, but potential traffic delays, roadworks, other pick-ups and vehicle availability.

Giving priority according to Britannia Club tier would just complicate things - and would be contrary to Saga ethos of "everybody merits the same good service".

• Like 3

You'll have a lovely time, but accept the risk that you may come back hooked on Saga.

Our neighbours have been ocean cruising for years, mainly with Marella but also various others.

They always dismissed Saga as overpriced.

This year they tried the Adventure for an 18-night cruise, mainly because they did not want to fly this year.

They have already booked their next Saga cruise...and said that Saga will now be their "go-to" cruise line.

Their comment was, "we have never before been so well looked after - well worth the money".

• Like 3

Thank you. The more I hear and read the more I wish I had done this years ago. My late husband however would rather have had teeth pulled than go on a cruise  as he used to get sea-sick on the ferry to Spain which was our regular winter retreat.