Norfolk pier/check in questions

Sayyadina

I did a quick search for this but didn't find anything.

I have a cousin who is stationed at Norfolk, he is going to be dropping us off and picking us up at the ship. Can we just drive up, dump the luggage, say our goodbyes and he can drive off without us, or is he going to have to park somewhere? What is the congestion like?

Also, between when and when is the best time to check in? When is the latest you can check in?

When he picks us up, when is a good time to tell him to meet us? And again, where would we tell him to meet us? Is there a good spot? Would it be better to call him from the pier when we get in?

Thanks so much everyone! :o

I live in Va Beach and am going on the Maasdam in November. I've been down to the pier area and I believe he can drop you at the curb. I've read you can get onboard around 11:30. As for departure, you could call on a cell phone as you are entering port so there would be no guesswork about when to arrive.

I hope this helps.

Dave

I just got off the Maasdam on Tuesday the 14th in Norfolk. You can get on the ship any time after 11:30 am assuming the ship returned on time from the previous cruise. You can check the WAVY TV skycam early in the morning of your cruise and the ship should be visible if it is docked. We docked around 6:30am. We were the last group called to leave the ship and we were off a little after 10:00am.

Your cousin should have no problem dropping you off right in front of the pier by Nauticus. There is a circle drive and I dropped my wife with the luggage and went and parked the car in Cedar Grove. We arrived about noon and were on the ship eating lunch on the Lido deck before 1:00. It is a little congested with the buses continually taking and dropping off passengers from the Cedar Grove lot. As I said there should be little if any problem dropping off anytime after 11:30am. They had posted last boarding time for passengers was 4:00pm.

On return arrival depending on how far away your cousin is, I would call him when you are getting ready to get off the ship. From the time we left the ship,to claiming our luggage and clearing customs it took about a half hour to be curbside. You fill out a form while on the ship with a requested time you would like to disembark between 7:30am and 10:00am. The 7:30am is for express departure and you have to carry your own luggage off the ship. I hope this helps. We requested 10:00am and that is when we were called. If you have any more specific questions please let me know and I will try to answer.

David

We took the Maasdam eastern Carribean out of Norfolk on 12-17-2005. We had a cruise and park package at the Norfolk Raddision Hotel that included pre cruise reception, King size bed, full breakfast buffet, and they parked our car until we returned, all for $158.00.

The hotel keeps a van shuttling back and forth to the cruise pier, we opted for the 1:30 p.m. We were out of the van, through checkin, and having lunch on the Lido deck fifteen minutes later. The lines look longer than they really are.

The cruise facility is alongside the Nautalis Museum, and they have constructed a fairly large traffic circle to accomidate pickup and dropoff. This thing runs super smooth, and the porters are waiting for you with luggage carts. We gave the porter a five dollar tip and our bags taken care of immediately and in our room within an hour.

Before leaving home, we went on line and checked in, passport and credit card info, etc. When we arrived at the checkin table, everything was ready, all they had to do was snap our pictures and we were on our way.

Maasdam does a lot of things right. That was the best cruise we ever took.

Bon Voyage!!:)

You can wait in your room if you like. We ate breakfast at the Lido buffet and went to the Lower Promenade port side and watched people leaving the ship. A good chance to say a final goodbye to some of the new friends you meet on the cruise. It is very organized and is not a problem at all.

David

I live in Va Beach and am going on the Maasdam in November. I've been down to the pier area and I believe he can drop you at the curb. I've read you can get onboard around 11:30. As for departure, you could call on a cell phone as you are entering port so there would be no guesswork about when to arrive.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Hey Dave! I live on the obx of nc and we will be joining you on the Nov cruise. Theres been a roll call started but not many people responding. It wasnt until recently that i realized just where the port was....i realized where it was after going to the circus at scope...i was likewhoa i was there basically lol. anyways nice knowing someone else kinda "local" is going as well!

Jess

Archived