Ho Chi Minh City: NY Times Top Tips, Ideas, etc.

TLCOhio

From the New York Times Travel Section this morning, they had this headline: 36 Hours with these highlights by writer Patrick Scott and photographs by Justin Mott:Ho Chi Minh City is synonymous with street food and motorbikes: It often seems like one massive, sizzling food court combined with a beeping motorcycle rally that came to town and never left. Almost as dizzying is how quickly Vietnam’s biggest city is transforming with new urbane enclaves and upscale planned communities, as well as the highrises constantly shooting up, like the country’s tallest skyscraper, Landmark 81, which opened in 2018. The busy boulevard along the Saigon River at Bach Dang Wharf last year added a new pedestrian park and a dramatic suspension bridge across the water to an emerging finance district. What’s constant is the optimism of savvy locals, Vietnamese returning from abroad and ambitious foreigners infusing the city with inventive bars, high-fashion boutiques, chic eateries and hotels.”

image.thumb.png.c0d339de819bc0623301fc85abcc2584.png

Many options and potentials are outlined for various museums and galleries, restaurants and bars, shopping and attractions, where to stay and getting around.  A nice variety of pictures are shared that bring back wonderful memories when we visit in early 2018 in what many locals still prefer to call Saigon.  Will post some of my visuals and highlights later.  

Also shared in this report is a location we visited: "The abandoned and captured United States tanks, planes and helicopters displayed on the grounds of the War Remnants Museum (admission, 40,000 dong) is the first indication that the victors will be telling the story of the wars in Vietnam." 

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/08/03/travel/things-to-do-ho-chi-minh-vietnam.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 248,131 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The pace of change/development in HCMC/Vietnam has been rapid.  I think its younger age demographic has really helped it keep pace with change and evolution.  

The missus first went in 2006 and when she took me in 2014, she remarked how much it changed in just eight years and how the tourist infrastructure was developing (which was both a good and bad thing).  I loved it so much (other than the humidity), I went again with friends in 2016. So many great little street food stands and holes in the wall place to try.  But it's definitely a modern Asian city too, complete with contemporary malls, rooftop bars, and the like.  

I have to admit though that the motorbikes on the sidewalks annoy me; either parked & forcing you onto the road or driving on it because the street is one way.  🙄

On 8/6/2023 at 5:11 PM, TLCOhio said:

36 Hours with these highlights by writer Patrick Scott and photographs by Justin Mott:Ho Chi Minh City

Thanks Terry!! The 36 Hour articles have been a long time NYT fave. 

The post looks great with the cover art linked (and the photographer credited 😉 )

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 7:36 PM, Milhouse said:

The pace of change/development in HCMC/Vietnam has been rapid.  I think its younger age demographic has really helped it keep pace with change and evolution.  I have to admit though that the motorbikes on the sidewalks annoy me; either parked & forcing you onto the road or driving on it because the street is one way.  🙄

Appreciate this great follow-up about the rapid growth in Ho Chi Minh City.  And, the congestion, traffic, motorbikes, etc., can be very challenging. Just walking across the street in their downtown required skill, courage and fast feet!! 

Fortunately when we were in that city for three days before starting a Mekong River sailing in early 2018, we experienced much, both during the day and in the evenings.  And, we did not have to do any driving there!!  

Below are a few of my visual samples for a city that I found to be very interesting and highly stimulating.  More to come later.  Feel free to share your experiences in this city, with its people, enjoying food there, etc.  Don't be shy to post your visuals and what you loved most there.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

Lots of character and history in Ho Chi Minh City, including below the French-connected Saigon Opera House.  Seeing a live performance there was a culture highlight.  At the bottom is the interior for their historic Post Office building.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.57b014ab9b18056a6edcd46a34bb3708.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e45065336a458ff0c2121a771591b452.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bf14fc1d1be893a845c6bb8052080841.jpeg

Very new and upscale was The Reverie Hotel where we stayed.  Lavish might be an understatement for the style in this hotel within one of their new skyscrapers.:

image.thumb.jpeg.93a157cb4f9da64a27af5bb89a6c435d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b7597799db4dcc739cfb1c7ab74fb69f.jpeg

Here is their City Hall lighted dramatically at night in Ho Chi Minh City.:

image.thumb.jpeg.0d3828b7309268d8b5ff57a0c6df1116.jpeg

Here is one of their newest buildings with a unique helipad located at a high, high level for this structure with special styling.:

image.thumb.jpeg.f46ea8a2c3a10d4a21b86668ba1f8824.jpeg

YES, the motorbikes are many and create much "drama" as the traffic moves around this large and growing metro region.:

image.thumb.jpeg.1c1a34902ba20f72aa6fd6f967af08b3.jpeg