Getting from Invergordon to Dornoch

bwgreen

Hello,

We are taking a British Isles cruise in May of '24 with a stop at Invergordon.  Doing some reading here I see that there is very little of interest in Invergordon - I have talked with the others in our group, and there is some interest in going to the town of Dornoch, finding a pub there to have something to eat, wander a bit, then head back to the ship.  Two things:

- One of us (me) is mobility-challenged and use a cane or walker to get around (depending on the day).  Is Dornoch accessible to someone with mobility issues?

- How would we get from the Invergordon cruise port to Dornoch?  Everything I have seen is a tour that last 6 or more hours - we're not really interested in doing that, just looking for a lazy day where we can go to the village, have some lunch, tour around (I'd love to go to the Carnegie Whisky Cellar as I and one other in our group are Scotch Whisky fans), then head back to our ship in Invergordon.

If it helps, there are 6 of us, and we are Invergordon on Saturday May 11.

Thanks!

There are several buses a day from Invergordon to Dornoch (route X25) but there are some big gaps in the timetable so you’d need to check whether the times fit in with your schedule. Journey time is about 45 minutes each way.

Otherwise you’d need a taxi (or potentially two taxis for 6 of you).

2 hours ago, bwgreen said:

I have talked with the others in our group, and there is some interest in going to the town of Dornoch, finding a pub there to have something to eat, wander a bit, then head back to the ship

A second option could be either train or bus from Invergordon to Inverness, a larger town with more sightseeing and dining options and capital of the Scottish Highlands.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hate having to think about this, but...On our May '24 British Isles cruise we have a port call in Invergordon, and I am considering the "Easy Scottish Highlands Drive" from the cruise line (Princess) - it includes a stop in Dornoch and wanted to know - what is that town like for accessibility?  I use a rollator (4-wheeled walker) to get around and would hate to miss out on something because it just won't go there!

Thanks!

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely love Dornoch, but it's been a few years since I've stayed there. As an excursion? I really don't think there is much of a draw here for that. You could have a lunch, and see the church or the "castle" which is really a hotel, or the few shops, but not much else. The beach is glorious and golf club nice too, but not so good for mobile impaired.

I'm nervous of those Highland Drives, because that's often just what it is. On the bus the whole time.

Bit late to this reply - been busy working with so many cruise ships in Invergordon! If you take the Easy Scottish Drive you will probably have around an hour at most in Dornoch so there isn't much chance to do the things you are suggesting. The Easy Scottish Drive also includes a scenic drive to a salmon waterfall which is not suitable for roller walkers as it's downhill on a series of sloping paths which have gravel on them.

Before you decide to go to Dornoch let me just give a plug for Invergordon. There is nice pub just across the road from Invergordon Port called The Ship Inn which has a good selection of local beers and a fresh menu that changes frequently. There is also a High Street which includes a mural trail and a small but interesting museum which covers the naval history of Invergordon too. All these are easy walking, flat and level. 

If you wanted to visit the golf club to play you can contact them and they will pick you up, free of charge, they will pick you up and run you back.

There is a train station in Invergordon. This is flat and easy walking from the port. Trains go North to Tain where there is a nice pub right on the Platform - it's the old station building infact.

You could also head to Alness where there is flat level walking to the High Street which has a variety of shops including the Station Hotel. This is easy to reach on the train.

Dingwall is also a good option on the train. The town centre is flat and level walking from the station and there are more places to eat.

However, if you are set on Dornoch - and Dornoch is lovely then the bus service is good or you can hire a 6 seater taxi at the port. That would mean you could get dropped off right in the centre of Dornoch. The Eagle is probably the closest pub to the centre and there are some nice cafes, alongwith a great place for hot chocolate, nice shops and a lovely cathedral too.

Hope that helps with you decision making, especially in relation to the Easy Highlands Drive tour which I have taken as a tour guide a number of times now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks - that's great information!

One question - do you know where in Dornoch the tour would drop you off for your time in town?  There's a store or two that I'd like to go to - if they're not an option then that is a deal-breaker for me!

Thanks!

1 minute ago, bwgreen said:

Thanks - that's great information!

One question - do you know where in Dornoch the tour would drop you off for your time in town?  There's a store or two that I'd like to go to - if they're not an option then that is a deal-breaker for me!

Thanks!

Yes - tour buses park in the coach park which is close to the Soar shop and museum and a 5 minute walk from the main street 😊