Vegetarian food on Disney cruise

shah007

I was excited about wanting to book a disney cruise for my 9 year old daughter. We are a family of 3 and are all vegetarians. But another family who went recently told me that the vegetarian food was strictly OK (less options and less flavorful) especially in dinner in the formal dinning in the evenings. Have any vegetarian folks in this group had any similar experiences?

• Like 1

I realize this doesn't really address your question, but as a vegetarian I thought I might as well say something!

As a vegetarian, I've learned not to expect great things, except on a more upscale cruise line. For example, although I've never been on Disney, Holland America is supposed to have pretty good food, and a separate vegetarian menu, but I found the vegetarian offerings pretty ordinary. Viking, however, has excellent vegetarian food, though much less choice. We're spending a bit more and trying Oceania next, based on reviews of the food.

• Like 1

My family eats pescaterian (vegetarian and finfish) and we have not had trouble finding food we like on our 12 Disney cruises. The main dining rooms have vegetarian entree options, usually more than one, each night. I am not picky, so I've liked almost everything. My husband has mentioned that the food in general is not as well-spiced as he'd prefer. 

On our Fantasy cruise in January, we discovered a few days into the cruise that Cabanas had a plant-based lunch special every day. It was made to order and required a small wait, but it was always tasty.

I will mention that while Palo has limited vegetarian options (I usually order fish there) we have had 2 phenomenal dinners at Remy composed mostly of vegetarian items. We just stopped by at Remy after we boarded to make sure our dietary requirements were noted on our reservations, and the chef prepared meals just for us. Obviously, you would need to get your daughter dinner elsewhere if you go to Remy.

I am definitely not a vegetarian but lean that way when dining on a cruise. I just get tired of some of the meat options. I found myself selecting the vegetarian entree at dinner at least twice on our 5-night cruise. The choices are interesting to me and I found the food to be good. All the menu items are marked as vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, etc. on the printed menus. You can google Disney Cruise Menus and find most all posted - it may help you determine if you think there are enough options for you. I was surprised that items on the buffet are not marked with any information. You will need to ask for specifics on items. However, they are incredibly kind and efficient on getting that information for you. My mom has a shrimp allergy and they would quickly be able to tell her if another buffet item was safe (i.e., seafood gumbo). Daisy's DeLites (Magic) had some fun options for lunch, especially the build your own bowl bar. 

I think how much variety you will have depends on what type of vegetarian you are. I can imagine someone who eats strictly vegan would have trouble. As others have mentioned, do not expect intense flavor or spice. They are cooking for the masses and have to spice it accordingly. 

Your dining team is there to help you find things that will interest you and will make sure you have a fantastic journey. I know they will do whatever they can to make things as wonderful as possible. 

I'm not vegetarian but I found myself selecting the vegetarian options on my Disney cruise. They are clearly marked on the menu and are actually some very interesting choices. Some of the best dishes I had were the veggie curry options at the quick service location on the pool deck, or main courses from the dining room.