Shopping With The Chef

Hello, my husband and I are booked in our first seabourn cruise this November Athens to Istanbul, we’re incredibly excited. But please excuse our newbie questions. I’ve been reading the boards quite extensively.

I have read about and seen mentioned on YouTube, ‘shopping with the chef’ is this something that is offered as a shore excursion, or do we need to wait until we are onboard to see if it is offered? Perhaps it isn’t offered on every sailing?

Currently, the shore excursions selection for our cruise is very light with some ports only offering ‘a stroll around xxxx’. Is this because we are close in, and excursions have sold out? Or maybe because we are going so late in the year? I know shopping with the chef is something my husband would really enjoy. 

SWTC is something that is offered on some cruises but not on others.  We have done it on 2 of our lseabourn cruises - both pre-Covid.  

it is not an excursion and is not published prior to the cruise   It is announced in the Herald and you sign up in Seabourn Square.  No charge. 

The two we did were in Talin Estonia in 2013  and Montreal in 206. ( it was not done on our more recent Canada  cruise in 2022). They were both a lot of fun. 

Edited by JPH814
  • Like 1

Shopping with the Chef isn't done on every cruise as it would depend on which ports have good fresh markets open on the days the ship arrives. 

When you board the ship you can check at Seabourn Square with guest services if they will offer it on your cruise and put your name down for it. Maybe let us know which ports and someone might know if it is possible.

I have never sailed in November in the Med but maybe excursions are low in number due to it being being late in the season. Usually if excursions are sold out they are still listed just with sold out on them. They may add more excursions closer to the time.Hopefully if you list your ports you might get some suggestions to easily DIY.

13 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Shopping with the Chef isn't done on every cruise as it would depend on which ports have good fresh markets open on the days the ship arrives. 

When you board the ship you can check at Seabourn Square with guest services if they will offer it on your cruise and put your name down for it. Maybe let us know which ports and someone might know if it is possible.

I have never sailed in November in the Med but maybe excursions are low in number due to it being being late in the season. Usually if excursions are sold out they are still listed just with sold out on them. They may add more excursions closer to the time.Hopefully if you list your ports you might get some suggestions to easily DIY.

Thank you!
We’re visiting the following ports

- Spetses

- Agios Nikolaos, Crete

- Kusadasi

- Skiathos

-Bozcaada

I can only help with Spetses. It has limited car transportation but that makes it unique and it has many lovely old mansions making it a popular place for visitors. We visited the  Bouboulina Museum. "Lascarina Bouboulina is one of the few female heroes of the Greek Revolution and notably one of the most renowned women in the history of Greece.The museum is housed in the home of Bouboulina, and displays a collection of personal objects and memorabilia. The building itself is noteworthy for its architectural details, especially the intricately carved wood ceiling in the main salon." It was easy to walk to it and we booked our tickets at the site. They only allow a limit group in at a time and don't open till 10am. It was very interesting and the guides very informative. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g189496-d1822757-Reviews-Bouboulina_s_Museum-Spetses_Saronic_Gulf_Islands_Attica.html

https://www.visitgreece.gr/islands/saronic-islands/spetses/

Lots of good seafood restaurants there.

This won't be a shopping with the chef place I wouldn't think but I have been known to be wrong.