Fires on Maui any POA reports?

MagnoliaBlossom

Well not NCL, but we heard from our TA yesterday and she just informed us to be ready in case changes are made.   We sail Oct 21st, so still a bit of time, but was happy to see her at least acknowledge the issue.  Of course she can't predict the future nor tell us what she doesn't know, but it was comforting to hear from her

• Like 1

Admittedly, I know nothing about NCL's Maui plans.  Last year, I did a Canada cruise which included Sydney and Charlottetown, two new ports.  We landed a few weeks after Hurricane Fiona, which devastated some areas, particularly C'town.  I believe ours was the first week that port could be reopened.  Walking around town, the carnage was easy to see:  huge toppled trees all over, buildings damaged, and many stores still closed.  We made it a point to walk around, spend money in bars and restaurants, pick up tchotchkes in stores, etc.  

Others' point is well taken:  IF the port is safe and has recovered sufficiently to open, NCL will stop there.  The locals are reliant on tourism so everyday that they're closed is just that much more painful to the community.  Certain excursions may be cancelled out of necessity, of course.  Depending on the situation, perhaps even a new "voluntourism" opportunity might be added over time, offering opportunities for tourists that may wish to lend a hand under the circumstances.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

As an NCL cruiser, here's what is going on currently on Maui. Residents from the Lahaina area are trying to be evacuated out of the area, there is no power, water, little to no cell service, roads are impassable, search is ongoing for human remains. People are being housed in Kihei, Kahului, and all other areas into shelters. Roads are congested, and the emphasis is upon assisting all residents. It is not the right time to bring in 2,000 new visitors, as many excursions will not be operating, large busses are used to transport residents around the island. We all learned the impact of the fires Wednesday morning, and everyone on the island has been volunteering to assist with shelters, food, transportation, medical care, etc.  Walmart, for the first few nights allowed folks without a room to sleep in, to use their parking lot to sleep in their cars. Over 15,000 visitors have flown home since Wednesday, over 2,200 houses/buildings have been destroyed, displacing over 4,500 people. We need to find homes for these folks now. There already is a tremendous housing shortage on the islands, so temporary shelters are where we are trying to put folks right now. With this going on, the island can not support an additional influx of visitors, nor would they be able to travel around the island. If you wish to make a donation, I suggest to the American Red Cross, and designate the contribution to the Maui Fire Relief Fund, so the money can assist our problems on Maui. Aloha.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

We just got home after spending a week on the west side of Maui.  On Tuesday there were very strong winds and the electricity went out early in the morning. The power to our condo was eventually restored late Saturday evening.  We had limited cell service.

On the way to the airport we got a glimpse of Lahaina and saw the devastation.

Aloha.  Mahalo for all those concerned as this is a truly unprecedented tragedy that is ongoing and will continue for an indefinite period.  I was born and raised in Manhattan and lived thru the WTC bombings both of them and to have ‘Ohana experience this tragedy is beyond words.  I have made available a vacant condo in Honolulu for displaced residents of Maui and have donated Hawaiian Miles and will further donate. Anything anyone can do to donate is welcome. I do not want to suggest organizations as that is personal but if you carefully research there are reputable charities that will welcome your kokua.  Lahaina is one of  those picturesque historical places which one can imagine in their hearts and minds and the people are so special so again Mahalo for your concern and blessings and love to all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3