FAS Second Passenger Savings Promo

Smitheroo

No one has responded to my comment on the thread about promo codes for all the features of the FAS program. So I will ask with a new topic.   How often does the Second Passenge Fare Savings run? (not the Air Fare)  It was running back in March/April but was discontinued and hasnt returned yet. I'm curious to know how often they run it, if anyone knows.

Thank you

Did you really see any overall price difference on that promo?  Usually, if the promo reduces the price of the second passenger, they simply raise the price an equal amount for the first person or for the cruise as a whole.  It seems they used to have promos that went back and forth that way.  But the bottom $ was always pretty much exactly the same.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

It really did make a difference. I think it lowered the price of the Jan 11 transatlantic to below $500 for me (solo) except for general gratuities.  That was with using a $500 cruisefirst coupon. I also planned to take off the gratuities for the drink package (and omit the drink package) but not sure if I did that before I calculated the final price.  Traveling solo I really dont think I would get the worth of the drink package.  I think I could get by with an occasional drink and pay for it.

I found transatlantics to be cheaper overall because the port charges of a voyage with many ports can really add up. Good thing I prefer many sea days.  I like seeing other places but dislike the disruption in the atmosphere of the ship on port days

17 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

It really did make a difference. I think it lowered the price of the Jan 11 transatlantic to below $500 for me (solo) except for general gratuities.  That was with using a $500 cruisefirst coupon. I also planned to take off the gratuities for the drink package (and omit the drink package) but not sure if I did that before I calculated the final price.  Traveling solo I really dont think I would get the worth of the drink package.  I think I could get by with an occasional drink and pay for it.

It's entirely possible that the price reduction was due to a change in the solo supplement and/or the "value" of the cruise, not the % of the promo.  They've gone from 35% to 40% to 50% since the restart, now back to 35%.  I had a number of cruises booked, there was no real pattern as to how the prices adjust when the change the "deal" - in many cases, it makes no difference. It's the bottom line that counts.

I booked a cruise in November 2021, when the promo was 50% - cruise is in April, 2024

That cruise price is way lower now (about 35%) and the promo is 35%. 

And I'm still hoping for a reduced solo supplement before final payment in December.

12 minutes ago, julig22 said:

It's entirely possible that the price reduction was due to a change in the solo supplement and/or the "value" of the cruise, not the % of the promo.  They've gone from 35% to 40% to 50% since the restart, now back to 35%.  I had a number of cruises booked, there was no real pattern as to how the prices adjust when the change the "deal" - in many cases, it makes no difference. It's the bottom line that counts.

I booked a cruise in November 2021, when the promo was 50% - cruise is in April, 2024

That cruise price is way lower now (about 35%) and the promo is 35%. 

And I'm still hoping for a reduced solo supplement before final payment in December.

I remember the promo specifically said "2nd passenger"  in the breakdown of the total fare.  Now it says 35% off all cruises.

7 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I remember the promo specifically said "2nd passenger"  in the breakdown of the total fare.  Now it says 35% off all cruises.

It doesn't matter what the promo says, the prices are manipulated to achieve the fare that NCL wants to charge when they apply the discount, whatever it might be.

50% off all cruises is the same as 2nd passenger free. Do the math.

35% off all cruises is the same as 70% off 2nd passenger which they often offer.

As a solo, you pay whatever the cost is for 2, unless there is a discounted solo supplement - or you are in a solo studio.

It's just semantics/mathematical manipulation. They change it up to make you think it's different. It isn't.

All that is important is the bottom line.

• Like 1

All I know is that when I did the math in March/April I liked the bottom line better than when I do the math now. Its not a huge difference but still nice. I believe when it was Second Passenger Savings (whatever the percentage was)  there was also a percentage off the cruise.  I understand what you are saying and it sounds believable, but I also saw the math and I liked it better before

8 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

All I know is that when I did the math in March/April I liked the bottom line better than when I do the math now. Its not a huge difference but still nice. I believe when it was Second Passenger Savings (whatever the percentage was)  there was also a percentage off the cruise.  I understand what you are saying and it sounds believable, but I also saw the math and I liked it better before

Of course you might have found better pricing at different times, point being it has nothing to do with the promo. It pays to check the pricing often. But your thoughts/beliefs that it makes a difference are exactly why NCL markets the way they do!  As to how often they run the different promos, only NCL can tell you that.

• $3118, the original booking, with 50% - which is the promo you are describing
  • $2337 on 7/27 with 35% discount
  • $1998 on 7/31 with 35% discount (and I repriced)
  • $2399 currently, with 35% discount 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2023 at 6:28 PM, julig22 said:

Of course you might have found better pricing at different times, point being it has nothing to do with the promo. It pays to check the pricing often. But your thoughts/beliefs that it makes a difference are exactly why NCL markets the way they do!  As to how often they run the different promos, only NCL can tell you that.

• $3118, the original booking, with 50% - which is the promo you are describing
  • $2337 on 7/27 with 35% discount
  • $1998 on 7/31 with 35% discount (and I repriced)
  • $2399 currently, with 35% discount 

Ok, I admit I got fooled.  I just did the math now that the 70% 2nd passenger promo is on and the bottom line for  that and for the last promo (35% off cruises) is the exact same. (in the scenario I used)  Why do they do this? Are they trying to trick people?  I'm still not convinced (I'm stubborn) that in some scenarios the bottom lines are different or maybe its the promo.  Isnt there a "2nd person sails free" promo?  I remember getting a discount on the breakdown of charges , as a solo traveler, and wondering why since there was no 2nd person. But anyway, doesnt really matter.  Look at the bottom line and decide if that works.