Caribbean cruise recommendation

jujujlm

Which of the 7 day caribbean cruises would you recommend for a family with 4 children - 17, 13, 12, 10. We would prefer at this point to leave from florida. I didn't know if anyone had a recommendation on the different ships, ports, etc. I know it is all what your taste is but we are pretty easy to please and just want to have a good time. These decisions can be so overwhelming.

I took all my Kids last year on the Carnival Miracle out of Tampa. The Miracle is a great ship and all of its stops are safe and great for kids. This year I took them all on the Triumph, they liked the Miracle better and so did I. There are some place's I wont take my kids Jamacia is one. Look at the Miracle its a great cruise. Alex

I agree with DQAlex. Jamacia is not a place for kids. Most other places I have taken them have been fine. I always research here to find approriate tours to take them on. They love to snorkel and stuff like that. We were on the Liberty last and they were happy cuz there is a great slide and it was open. On the Pride is was closed more than it was open. There are arcardes on board that they liked. Swimmin is always fun for them.

I don't agree that "Jamaica is not a place for kids." Yes, you should be cautious and not let your kids run around unsupervised. But it is certainly safe to take them on a shore excursion. Our kids loved doing Dunns River Falls. We took a tour of the rain forest. We absolutely loved Jamaica. It's a beautiful islanda. I think it's wrong to make a blanket statement like that.

Jerseygirl. You are absoulutely right. I stand corrected. I am not a fan of Jamaica so I projected my feelings to that regard. I have not had my kids with me when we have ported in Jamaica so I have not had to make the choice. When that time comes I guess I will have to give it some carefull thought.

I also agree that children should be watched carefully no matter where you are.

As far as the weather goes, southern Caribbean has had the best weather for us. Just use common sense for excursions. Hope you pick a nice cruise and you have a wonderful time. Don't forget to havea little parental time away from kids, it's your vacation too.

We also decided on the Miracle 7day out of Tampa. My sister wanted the Valor, but my Dad wanted a smaller ship. That might be a factor for you? I love the ports that the Miracle visits. I went to the Carnival website and looked at the excursions for each stop. I am taking my 6 year old so I wanted to be sure there were things for her to do as well. All the ports have a little something for everyone. I have not cruised yet myself, so the ports and the excursions were a big factor. Also, I have heard so many good things about the Miracle so that was reassuring!

You will have a great trip no matter what you pick! I think you should decide what is the most important factor and go from there.

Jerseygirl. You are absoulutely right. I stand corrected. I am not a fan of Jamaica so I projected my feelings to that regard. I have not had my kids with me when we have ported in Jamaica so I have not had to make the choice. When that time comes I guess I will have to give it some carefull thought.

I also agree that children should be watched carefully no matter where you are.

I want to cruise with YOU!

You are a class act!

We are booked on the Miracle for July. That being said, it will be a little crazy tendering now to 3 of the 4 ports. I think your kids would love to snorkle with the stingrays in Grand Caymen; in Cozumel there is a wonderful beach - Paradise Beach; Costa Maya - can just beach it there, too, or do a ruins tour; Belilze - cave tubing, snorkeling, zip lining or a ruins tour. First you need to decide how many sea days you would like. I think the kids might get a little bored with more than 2. I see you have a couple of teens - the Miracle does not have a special teen's club. But there is one on the Conquest, Valor, Glory and the Liberty. The Victory and Triumph are also great ships. As a rule of thumb, stay away from the older ships. Just do a search on Expedia for the week you want to go and see what is available. Then narrow down by the departure port, then further narrow down by where they are going and then the ship. Once you narrow it down to a couple of ships, do another post and see how people respond. Happy picking!!!

If the Miracle doesn't have special teens club, what do the teens do? Are they on their own?

I looked at the deck layout for the Miracle. There do not appear to be any connecting rooms which is what I was looking for.

Did it last year, loved it, and now we're hooked (which I'm still debating whether that's a good thing or a bad one). Plenty to do for ALL ages, teen club, Camp Carnival, etc.

Can't say enough about the Valor...it was gorgeous and I'm hoping we weren't spoiled by all of it. ;)

Which of the 7 day caribbean cruises would you recommend for a family with 4 children - 17, 13, 12, 10. We would prefer at this point to leave from florida. I didn't know if anyone had a recommendation on the different ships, ports, etc. I know it is all what your taste is but we are pretty easy to please and just want to have a good time. These decisions can be so overwhelming.

does the cruise have to be on Carnival? If not I'd recommend a Voyager class ship on Royal Caribbean.

Bill

It doesn't have to be on Carnival. It seems that Carnival is a little cheaper. We are not looking to go until July 2007 and Royal Caribbean does not have those rates out yet - they said not until late this month or next month.

Royal will probably be more expensive than CCL but if the prices are close I'd look at RCI. Those ships are great for kids with ice skating, roller blading, rock climbing, mini golf, etc.

The kids won't be bored on Carnival either but just so much more to do on the Voyager class ships.

Bill

Archived