Does Celebrity cuise to antartica?

i guide the sky

they don't, but if they did I would book it in a heartbeat. I've booked for the Marco Polo Next Jan for antartica. I'm sailing on the Constellation this fall for the Canada New England. There were rumors their Xpedition would do Antartica but it's not true.

The best cruise I've been on was the Xpedition to Galapagos so far and I hear the Marco Polo will top it. I can't wait. I really enjoyed the small ship experience of Xpedition and open seating for all three meals. With only 60 passengers it would be silly to assign tables and it's one seating anyway.

Karyn

Even though the MP holds 800 pax, for Antarctica they take on only 400. Still 2 seatings, but you never know how many people are on....they do a good job. I'm so excited for you!!! If you go to http://communtiy.webshots.com/user/estherwagner, you'll be able to see some of the photos I took. I took almost 300, but chose only a handful to share. Do keep us informed on this cruise!!!

Esther

I have a much better tip for you when heading for Antarctica.....Try this company http://www.antarcticaxxi.com. Instead of sailing the Drake Passage where most Pax suffer badly - they fly you from Chile to King George Island where you then board a small 50 passenger research vessel. They do 2 zodiac excursions a day and those are included in the price as are open bars. The vessel was built in 1990 I believe in Finnland.

It is not a cheap thing but then Antartica is never cheap but it is a very special tourand well worth it!!! They offer a 7 day / 6 night programme from Nov to end of Dec. This flight (Chile to King George is included) / cruise ranges between 7.100,- USD to 9.200,- USD This includes Transfers to and from the airport, 1 nights lodging in Punta Arenas, a welcome dinner, as already mentioned the flight across the Drake, the cruise in the cabin of your choice, full board, and the shore excursions....

They are also offering one cruise this year - 23 November with 4 days / 3 nights starting at rates of 1.900,- USD up to 2.550,- USD but then again who is going to fly all the way down south just for 4 days.

If you are really serious about going to Antarctica then this is the company I would recomend.

Visit their website and enjoy.

Esther those pictures were fantastic, I loved seeing you in your red parka, can't wait to get my own red parka.

Moeve, I can't go this year. I have resv. on the Constellation to do Canada New England. I like the itinary on the Marco Polo better, flying into Buenas Aires for three days two nights before flying to Ushuaia to baord the ship. I'm anxious for both my cruises to happen. I must admit that planning for them is about 1/4 th the fun.

Esther those pictures were fantastic, I loved seeing you in your red parka, can't wait to get my own red parka.

Moeve, I can't go this year. I have resv. on the Constellation to do Canada New England. I like the itinary on the Marco Polo better, flying into Buenas Aires for three days two nights before flying to Ushuaia to baord the ship. I'm anxious for both my cruises to happen. I must admit that planning for them is about 1/4 th the fun.

Karyn

So glad you liked the photos. I cannot stop talking about this cruise!!! I even didn't have a problem getting in and out of a Zodiak, and believe me, I am Super Klutz!!!!! The entertainment on MP was fantastic, also. In fact, there wasn't much I didn't like about it. I'm sorry my husband didn't come along, but it wasn't his idea of a cruise! Do take ina tango show in BA before the cruise. Hokey, perhaps, but wonderful. I need to warn you that the flight to Ushauia (sp?) isn't.....well, just say the food was good, but a four hour flight needed to stop 1/2 way to re=fuel. Please keep in touch with me for any questions and definitely let me know how you liked teh cruise!!!! pwagner2@cfl.rr.com

Esther,

can you tell me if the MP had guest lecturer onboard and what topics he or she covered?

I made four trips to Antarctica with Operation DEEP FREEZE when I was on active duty in the late 80s and am thinking about applying for such a position.

thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan

Peter Hillary (son of Sir Edmund) was a speaker, as were the a couple of brothers who were related to one of the explorers who tried to make the trip but died. Boy, my brain is going south..I can't remember their names, but I think Wilson. But yes, there were lecturers and quite good ones. Good luck to you. Definitely apply and see what happens. Let me know how it goes.

Esther

Dan

Sorry I didn't answer all your questions. Peter Hillary spoke of his father, of course, and he himself had treked to Antarctica so he was well informed. The others were experts on the many birds we encountered. I wish I could remember all teh subjects; suffice it to say they were very interesting, and held my interest, and believe me, that's not easy!!!!

Esther

Thank you Esther. Sounds like a great group of lecturers.

I wonder if perhaps you mean descendents of "Birdie" Wilson who was a member of the Scott party that died on the way back from the pole. If so, heck, I'd pay to hear them myself.

Dan

Whatever happened to Celebrity's announcement that they were going to be doing Antartica? I guess it went the same way as their itinerary for Asia and the South Pacific that was also announced.

Celebrity Xpeditions Offers Details of Arctic, Antarctic Cruises

Following up on the recent introduction of its Galapagos cruises, Celebrity's new adventure-travel operation has announced details of its next offering: 12- and 13-night Xpeditions (800/437-3111, http://www.celebrity.com) to the Arctic and Antarctic aboard the polar class icebreaker Kapitan Khlebnikov.

The cruises will be offered in partnership with Quark Expeditions, which has been operating polar cruises since 1991. The 434-foot Kapitan Khlebnikov was built in Finland in 1981 and was the first ship ever to circumnavigate Antarctica with passengers, in 1996/97. She carries 112 passengers in all outside cabins.

The program gets going this summer with two 13-night High Arctic cruises departing by air from Ottawa, Canada, on August 11 and September 3 and meeting the ship in Resolute, the only settlement on Cornwallis Island and the primary crossroad for High Arctic travel. From there, the ship spends 11 nights sailing among the polar region's islands and waterways, against a backdrop of mountains, glaciers, and fjords, home to whales, polar bears, Arctic seals, and other wildlife.

At the other end of the planet, Xpeditions' 12-night Antarctica voyages sail roundtrip from Ushuaia, Argentina, on October 25 and November 5, 2004, taking guests past glaciers, icebergs, and mountains to Elephant Island (where Sir Ernest Shackleton's Endurance sank in 1915); past Cape Horn, where the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans meet; and then for five full days in the Antarctic.

Archived