Moxy Hotel Southampton

Mrs f.

I promised someone that I'd write a description of Moxy Southampton but don't remember who 

Anyway... 

We are here at the Moxy Southampton. There is no real lobby. You register at the bar   Room is small ..that doesn't bother me. Compact bathroom but has everything I need.  Very quiet. What is a slight problem is there is no mini fridge which I am used to having.  I like cold water.  Hotel is around the corner and across the street from the giant Westquay Mall.  Walked over to M&S and Waitrose (both in mall). Picked up wine for our Oceania cruise.  Ok selection.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joanne G. said:

Thank you.  I wasn't the person who requested the information, but a friend and I are looking at hotel options for one night before a cruise next year.    This is useful information.  

Also ...no safe in closet... probably because no closet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I stayed at the Moxy pre-cruise. It was very pleasant. The only issue I had was I requested the hotel order a taxi for me for the morning to the ship (Princess). So did another 50 or so people at the same time. There weren't enough taxis and they weren't showing up on time. I was traveling by myself and ended up sharing with another couple going to the same ship. I'd assume most hotels have the same issue. Leave lots of time for transfer to the ship.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

I stayed at the Moxy pre-cruise. It was very pleasant. The only issue I had was I requested the hotel order a taxi for me for the morning to the ship (Princess). So did another 50 or so people at the same time. There weren't enough taxis and they weren't showing up on time. I was traveling by myself and ended up sharing with another couple going to the same ship. I'd assume most hotels have the same issue. Leave lots of time for transfer to the ship.

Good to know

I also stayed here for one night before my cruise and it was fine.  I used Marriott points so it was free.  Never noticed there wasn't a phone and I did have the hotel call a cab for me and it arrived within 15 minutes.  The rooms are very small but since I was traveling solo it was fine.  Had dinner in the bar but there was a shopping center across the street that I could have gone to but I was tired from traveling.  It was fine for one night and the price was right (lol).

On 8/16/2023 at 12:09 PM, Mrs f. said:

there is no mini fridge which I am used to having.                                                      Also ...no safe in closet... probably because no closet.                                             Also as we just found out when we wanted to call another cruising couple in this hot ....no phone in room 

None of this is at all surprising or unusual.  Travelers should not expect to find mini-fridges, safes, closets, or phones in budget hotels in the UK as a matter of course. This applies not only to Moxy hotels but also to rooms in such ubiquitous budget chain hotels as Premier Inn, Ibis, and Travelodge.  It's a commonality across all of these brands, and probably some others of which I have no experience.  (In lieu of closets and standard drawers, rooms invariably have an open area with a few hangers as well as open shelves -- the benefit being that guests are unlikely to leave any clothing or other personal items behind when everything is in plain sight.)

In Premier Inns, and (I don't quite recall, but probably most other chain hotels), hairdryers are provided in the bedroom itself--but never in the bathroom. Per UK safety regulations, electrical outlets are not permitted in bathrooms, although (again, my memory is a bit hazy, because I've never consciously looked for this) there may be an outlet for electric razors.

And don't go looking for a washcloth/facecloth (called a flannel in the UK) in the bathroom of any hotel in Britain, regardless of the price of the room or how upscale the hotel may be. It's not that housekeeping forgot to leave one for you; it's that they are considered personal items and are just not provided. Just a cultural difference.

However... In your room you will invariably find an electric kettle, cups/mugs, a few assorted teabags, instant coffee sachets, and tiny milk/cream thingies.  Nobody needs fridges, safes, landline phones, etc etc, but you absolutely do need your tea!😉😋

Edited by Post Captain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Post Captain said:

However... In your room you will invariably find an electric kettle, cups/mugs, a few assorted teabags, instant coffee sachets, and tiny milk/cream thingies.  Nobody needs fridges, safes, landline phones, etc etc, but you absolutely do need your tea!😉😋

The most important paragraph in your post 🙂

Same applies to UK cruise ships - and even many US ships on a UK seasonal base 🙂 

JB 🙂

20 hours ago, Post Captain said:

None of this is at all surprising or unusual…In your room you will invariably find an electric kettle, cups/mugs, a few assorted teabags, instant coffee sachets, and tiny milk/cream thingies.  Nobody needs fridges, safes, landline phones, etc etc, but you absolutely do need your tea!

👍 👍 

On 8/17/2023 at 6:56 PM, Post Captain said:

And don't go looking for a washcloth/facecloth (called a flannel in the UK) in the bathroom of any hotel in Britain, regardless of the price of the room or how upscale the hotel may be. It's not that housekeeping forgot to leave one for you; it's that they are considered personal items and are just not provided. Just a cultural difference.

Thank you for this info. Headed there next year for the first time and had no clue. Will be sure to pack my own.

We stayed at this hotel for one night pre-cruise in August.  We were happy to be able to check in at noon.  Yes, the room and bathroom were small, but the room was clean and in good condition. For one night it was fine in size.  The staff at the bar/front desk were friendly.  They arranged a taxi for us for the next day for going to the cruise terminal, and the driver showed up early and the cost was as expected.  The location is great to walk to see the old town and is close to restaurants and also the West Quay mall if you need anything.; We would stay again if we cruise out of Southampton again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1