Talk to me like a child - Internet Service in Europe

Sunset329

4 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Easiest definition of influencer is someone who gets paid for their social media work. That can be in cash or free stuff.

Oh right.  Hey, have you sent out that free yarn order yet?  My mom could really use it.  I hope it gets here soon.  If not me and my 5 followers will be posting negative reviews on your website.  😂

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1

I just found the following on the Verizon Travel Pass FAQ:

"Wi-Fi calling isn't included with TravelPass. Wi-Fi calling to a country other than the US is charged international long distance rates regardless of whether or not you have an international travel plan."

If this is true, make sure you turn off Wifi calling before leaving the ship oversea. I guess calling US is okay.

Edited by GreenDice

53 minutes ago, GreenDice said:

I just found the following on the Verizon Travel Pass FAQ:

"Wi-Fi calling isn't included with TravelPass. Wi-Fi calling to a country other than the US is charged international long distance rates regardless of whether or not you have an international travel plan."

If this is true, make sure you turn off Wifi calling before leaving the ship oversea. I guess calling US is okay.

Don't turn off WiFi calling. You won't be able to turn it back on when  out of the US. All that means is that international phone calls are charged. That would be the same if you use WiFi calling on the ship. You don't get charged for domestic US calls with WiFI calling. When you are using your travel pass you don't use WiFi calling you use cellular calling, If you want to make an international call don't do it on WiFi..

Don't turn off WiFi Calling!  if you need to make an international call and are on WiFi turn off WiFi. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

You write you never been on any form of social media but you are on this forum ?🤔

With FB we have able to stay in contact with people we have meet on cruises and think of as close friends , without social media this would be impossible 

Roaming in port is a great tool, makes it so much easier to find yarn shops in ports 🤣

I wouldn’t extra for Wi-Fi on the ship, but sometime with group rates having Always included, it was the same cost of cruise only fare

By social media I meant of course the public platforms likes of Facebook,Twitter, Insta etc. Quite why anyone thinks total strangers would be interested in their baby's first bowel movement and the like is beyond us.

We used social media as a business tool successfully - just never about us or our private lives and stopped using it the day we sold out business.

We keep in touch with family and friends via Whatsapp because it's not public but don't see why we would need to do this on board a cruise and therefore don't pay for it.

I understand the concept of vacuous influencers etc and by and large while some are obviously successful at this the price they pay is an open private life and looking like a moron.

All port research is done before we leave - two dive bars and an authentic local restaurant for a long boozy lunch normally is sufficient for us.

Tbh, when taking a cruise we like to think as we dissembark that we have spent the least amount of money of anyone on board and still had a great time so onboard Wifi is surplus to requirements.

Or Ninja Cruising™ as we prefer to call it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SoloAlaska said:

Finding yarn and fabric stores in port is an essential part of cruising for me. Let me introduce my actual self, I’m the owner of Trailhead Yarns lol. 

Good thing you are on the other side of Ottawa 

My wife and daughter did a yarn crawl last month and drove to Perth , ON, over 2 hours to check out a store 🤣
I see your product it is at Yarn It in Cobourg , which means there probably some in my wife’s craft room 🤣

I think see has more yarn than Kathy has in here store 😉

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

By social media I meant of course the public platforms likes of Facebook,Twitter, Insta etc. Quite why anyone thinks total strangers would be interested in their baby's first bowel movement and the like is beyond us.

We used social media as a business tool successfully - just never about us or our private lives and stopped using it the day we sold out business.

We keep in touch with family and friends via Whatsapp because it's not public but don't see why we would need to do this on board a cruise and therefore don't pay for it.

I understand the concept of vacuous influencers etc and by and large while some are obviously successful at this the price they pay is an open private life and looking like a moron.

All port research is done before we leave - two dive bars and an authentic local restaurant for a long boozy lunch normally is sufficient for us.

Tbh, when taking a cruise we like to think as we dissembark that we have spent the least amount of money of anyone on board and still had a great time so onboard Wifi is surplus to requirements.

But yet you are here telling everyone how cheap you are 😉

5 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Good thing you are on the other side of Ottawa 

My wife and daughter did a yarn crawl last month and drove to Perth , ON, over 2 hours to check out a store 🤣

We aren’t open to the public but have over 100 stores that carry our yarn and threads. The shop in cobourg was a customer for several years. Toronto on the May long weekend this year will be the place to be. Which reminds me I need to put in my teaching applications soon. My TA this December I am taking in order to start writing my first book. It should be a fun one for any stitchers on this board for sure.

26 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

Mmmm this is a public platform. Keep in mind not all influencers include parts of their personal life. I am an all be it very small influencer but don’t really share my personal life on social media and I don’t even use Facebook. I don’t spend hours on my platform either. Not all influencers are the same.

38 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

This discussion is going for the weeds but while I dislike Facebook it is the only way I can keep in touch with coworkers from the company I retired from, my condo community and some businesses that are only on Facebook. Small shops that have events are on Facebook and Instagram. Particularly some tourists sites in some countries don’t have websites they have Facebook pages in Bermuda and the Caribbean. So I do use Facebook when on a cruise to check local stuff at some ports. Also Facebook Marketplace has become the best place to sell stuff like furniture you no longer need. Much safer than Craig’s List. The ones who post too much we can unfollow. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

But yet you are here telling everyone how cheap you are 😉

And extremely proud of it.

Being well-off as well as cost-conscious is not totally incompatible. Ask anyone with a few bob in Yorkshire.

Totally shameless as well in case you're wondering ...😉

Edited by Baggy178

Back to the question of Sims/eSims it's important to remember that neither will be able to be used in a locked 'phone ( i.e one that came as part of a provider's plan ).

If your phone is locked the provider will be able to unlock it remotely if you contact them.

I'm not sure the OP couldn't just get by for three days in Barcelona using hotel/bar/restaurant coffee shop Wifi )

6 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

Back to the question of Sims/eSims it's important to remember that neither will be able to be used in a locked 'phone ( i.e one that came as part of a provider's plan ).

If your phone is locked the provider will be able to unlock it remotely if you contact them.

I'm not sure the OP couldn't just get by for three days in Barcelona using hotel/bar/restaurant coffee shop Wifi )

OP is on Verizon. Verizon phones can be unlocked after 60 days if it is a locked phone. If it is an iPhone and purchased from Apple it will be unlocked.  As to whether they can get by for 3 days some people could. Some people can’t. We can’t answer that. I could not and to me $20 or $30 , I could probably time it to 2 days, $20 is nothing. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

We aren’t open to the public but have over 100 stores that carry our yarn and threads. The shop in cobourg was a customer for several years. Toronto on the May long weekend this year will be the place to be. Which reminds me I need to put in my teaching applications soon. My TA this December I am taking in order to start writing my first book. It should be a fun one for any stitchers on this board for sure.

I asked and my wife loves your yarn ! 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

OP is on Verizon. Verizon phones can be unlocked after 60 days if it is a locked phone. If it is an iPhone and purchased from Apple it will be unlocked.  As to whether they can get by for 3 days some people could. Some people can’t. We can’t answer that. I could not and to me $20 or $30 , I could probably time it to 2 days, $20 is nothing. 

The OP asked for advice about Barcelona and as a European and reasonably frequent visitor to Barcelona I can only offer the advice as seen from this side of the pond.

It's more than likely the OP will have free Wifi at their hotel. I can't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel in Europe that charged for it. Even budget chains provide it as standard.

Most bars, restaurants and coffee shops will also have it.

I suppose the OP might be on the move somewhere and need a 4g/5g signal but other than that I'm not sure of the point.

It's a bit like buying the Drinks package and needing to have eight drinks every day to make it cost-effective but only having five. Seems a waste to me.

Edited by Baggy178

8 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

The OP asked for advice about Barcelona and as a European and reasonably frequent visitor to Barcelona I can only offer the advice as seen from this side of the pond.

It's more than likely the OP will have free Wifi at their hotel. I can't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel in Europe that charged for it. Even budget chains provide it as standard.

I have been in Barcelona a few times and agree about the WIFi but I would still rather have cell phone service. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

One thing that is good about have data as you travel, you can get notifications that your cc has been used 

Also if you get separated from your partner it will be easier to find each other if you both have data 

I do that too I get alerts for all my credit card transactions and ATM withdrawals. Also despite putting in travel notifications to my CC companies I have had my card declined a couple of times abroad and had to call the cc company on the spot. When I charged a ticket at the London Eye AMEX sent me an email and text I had to click a link to confirm I was making the charge! 

5 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

Most bars, restaurants and coffee shops will also have it.

I suppose the OP might be on the move somewhere and need a 4g/5g signal but other than that I'm not sure of the point.

It's a bit like buying the Drinks package and needing to have eight drinks every day to make it cost-effective but only having five. Seems a waste to me.

A very grateful OP is again replying. I checked, and our hotel does have wi-fi. Our biggest concern now is the audio tours on our excursions. We will probably get the Verizon international plan.

I want to thank everyone for your guidance.