Question about NCL air - deviation unavailable?

sheltielover256

Hi-  I've never traveled with NCL before and hope some of you experienced travelers can help.

We just booked a cruise from Tromso, Norway to Iceland for next June.  Part of the reason we booked now is that it is affordable with NCL's BOGO air.  I know that the NCL air program doesn't have a great reputation, but it is almost $1700 less than booking the flights ourselves!  And there aren't many flights from Orlando to Tromso.  Its a 20 hour flight, so I am pretty sure which flight we'll be on.  I called today to see if I could fly into Tromso a day early to alleviate anxiety (and spend a day in Tromso pre-cruise).  I was told that deviations aren't available for incoming flights on that cruise.  (I can get a deviation at the end).   The NCL rep told me to call back periodically to see if availability changes.

So, my questions:  (1)  has anybody gotten a flight deviation from NCL for flights into Tromso (is there something wonky about that town)?; and (2) has anybody had deviation availability change?  I can't figure out why NCL would care if I wanted to come in early -- I'd think they'd encourage it.

Thanks in advance!

It's really far out to be booking international flights. I know, it can be done and many do it to lock in fares. Check back in three or four months when fares will be priced better. Given all the international travel this year, I have a feeling fares will be going down next year (yea, my opinion is as valuable as a corn cob after you've chewed off the kernels). 

Anyway, @SimplyAlbert is likely correct. NCL does reserve the right to not offer deviations for whatever reason. Flights could also be super expensive and they just don't want to offer a deviation. Who knows...the good news is that you still have time to cancel the BOGO Air if you want to.

Ah- thanks guys.  That makes perfect sense-- I honestly hadn't thought about it being too far out to get full schedules.  I definitely plan to check the prices/schedules for self-booking the flights  before the time to cancel the BOGO expires.  One problem with BOGO is that they won't check the flights from drivable cities (like Miami or Tampa) that might have much better choices.  Right now air on this route is crazy expensive and the BOGO is a great deal--but that could change closer in.  Worst case--I stick with NCL air and don't get a pre-cruise deviation.  We can live with that.