Studio vs Solo in regular inside cabin for 2

Smitheroo

I found this interesting. I did a cost comparison of 3 bookings.  Traveling with another person (not a spouse or "partner") it was actually cheaper (not by much but still cheaper)  for us to get two studio cabins than it was for us to share a cabin or to get an inside cabin for each of us. I still have to check my math.  I'm guessing it might be due to the fact that a $500 cruisefirst certificate can be used on each, while only one certificate can be used on the shared cabin.  I realize that this comparison is only valid for this one particular cruise at a certain time.  (depends on the fare at the time)   this is a better deal than I thought beccause I didnt  realize that the studio cabin area had so many amenities. I am interested because I thought the cabins looked cozy and fun.  And better for two people who dont normally share a bed than sharing an inside cabin because with the latter you would have a twin bed. At least with two separate inside cabins for 2 people each could have a big bed because the twins are pushed together. One thing I did not take into consideration were the service charges (general gratuities)

Edited by Smitheroo

8 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

8 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I found this interesting. I did a cost comparison of 3 bookings.  Traveling with another person (not a spouse or "partner") it was actually cheaper (not by much but still cheaper)  for us to get two studio cabins than it was for us to share a cabin or to get an inside cabin for each of us. I still have to check my math.  I'm guessing it might be due to the fact that a $500 cruisefirst certificate can be used on each, while only one certificate can be used on the shared cabin.  I realize that this comparison is only valid for this one particular cruise at a certain time.  (depends on the fare at the time)   this is a better deal than I thought beccause I didnt  realize that the studio cabin area had so many amenities. I am interested because I thought the cabins looked cozy and fun.  And better for two people who dont normally share a bed than sharing an inside cabin because with the latter you would have a twin bed. At least with two separate inside cabins for 2 people each could have a big bed because the twins are pushed together. One thing I did not take into consideration were the service charges (general gratuities)

My adult son and I have gotten two connecting studio cabins in the past. Not only did we have our own space for privacy, we had two showers and toilets, which we would not have if sharing any size of cabin (except some Haven cabins). In our situation it was not cheaper to have 2 studios but it was the right decision for us. 

Edited by debenson0723
delete duplicate quote
  • Like 1

Just now, debenson0723 said:

My adult son and I have gotten two connecting studio cabins in the past. Not only did we have our own space for privacy, we had two showers and toilets, which we would not have if sharing any size of cabin (except some Haven cabins). In our situation it was not cheaper to have 2 studios but it was the right decision for us. 

that is good information to know. I didnt know you can get adjoining studios which is even better than side by side.   I still have to check my math on my cost comparison described in my post

6 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

that is good information to know. I didnt know you can get adjoining studios which is even better than side by side.   I still have to check my math on my cost comparison described in my post

Adjoining means they are next to each other.  Connecting means they have an actual door that can be open between the two cabins. Prima and Viva do not have connecting studio cabins but they do have adjoining cabins, if you can find them available.

Just now, debenson0723 said:

Adjoining means they are next to each other.  Connecting means they have an actual door that can be open between the two cabins. Prima and Viva do not have connecting studio cabins but they do have adjoining cabins, if you can find them available.

well that is confusing lol.   It isnt important though if we arent right next to each other. Thanks for clarifying

4 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

well that is confusing lol.   It isnt important though if we arent right next to each other. Thanks for clarifying

A further up-side to two Studios would be you each would receive the $50 per excursion credit (if that is of any importance to you).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ggTexasGal said:

A further up-side to two Studios would be you each would receive the $50 per excursion credit (if that is of any importance to you).

And if one of you doesn't drink (my son doesn't) you both don't have to get the drink package. 

• Like 2

cruise pricing can be strange sometimes.  I booked a cruise for 3 people, and it was cheaper to do 2 cabins, with 1 being a solo cabin rather than doing 3 people in 1 cabin. 

AS for connecting, I did a studio on Epic and they did have connecting studios

57 minutes ago, dad son team said:

cruise pricing can be strange sometimes.  I booked a cruise for 3 people, and it was cheaper to do 2 cabins, with 1 being a solo cabin rather than doing 3 people in 1 cabin. 

AS for connecting, I did a studio on Epic and they did have connecting studios

I was just reading something that referred to connecting studios also so they exist

22 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

At least with two separate inside cabins for 2 people each could have a big bed because the twins are pushed together.

Studio beds are full size, not twin size beds, so much more comfortable than two twins pushed together in an inside. I've been in Prima, Epic, Bliss, Escape, Getaway, and Breakaway studios. The beds are slightly different sizes, depending on when/where the ship was built, but all were larger than a twin. Studio cabins are slightly smaller than an inside but use space better.

Plus you and your friend will be able to meet up and hang out in the Studio Lounge.

17 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I was just reading something that referred to connecting studios also so they exist

Nobody said they don't exist. The poster merely pointed out that there aren't any on the Prima and the Viva.

41 minutes ago, Portia! said:

Studio beds are full size, not twin size beds, so much more comfortable than two twins pushed together in an inside. I've been in Prima, Epic, Bliss, Escape, Getaway, and Breakaway studios. The beds are slightly different sizes, depending on when/where the ship was built, but all were larger than a twin. Studio cabins are slightly smaller than an inside but use space better.

Plus you and your friend will be able to meet up and hang out in the Studio Lounge.

While the Studio cabins are smaller than an inside on a one-to-one basis, I think people miss the fact that you end up with more room in the Studio (without considering the lounge area). For example, on the Encore a Studio is 99sf while an inside is 135sf. However, when you consider that the Studio holds 1 person and the inside holds 2, you see that in an inside each person gets about 70sf...and they have to share the bathroom...in a Studio each person has the full 99sf and a private bathroom of their own.

• Like 1