Seattle Embarkation

deltahog

8 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

While you *may* be able to do so...why?  Most people really want to start enjoying their ship/cruise once they get on board.

Exploring all my options.  At the end I have a Vancouver day.  But at the beginning I don't get to Seattle until 9p the night before.  It's somewhere I never go, so why not treat it as a port stop?  If possible.  I have other sea days to enjoy the ship.

• Like 2

If you want to do this I would drop your bags with a porter and then Uber/taxi to where you want to go. Space Needle and Pike Place Market are several miles away. I don't recall anything interesting near the pier in Seattle. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, villageidit said:

If you want to do this I would drop your bags with a porter and then Uber/taxi to where you want to go. Space Needle and Pike Place Market are several miles away. I don't recall anything interesting near the pier in Seattle. 

There is not much directly around the pier that Princess uses

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, deltahog said:

Exploring all my options.  At the end I have a Vancouver day.  But at the beginning I don't get to Seattle until 9p the night before.  It's somewhere I never go, so why not treat it as a port stop?  If possible.  I have other sea days to enjoy the ship.

Where are you staying the night before? And how far are you willing to walk? I live in Seattle (actually not that far from the port and cycle past all the time). My advice if you are staying near Pike Place Market is to leave bag at hotel and tour there in the morning and then go to ship.  There is a VERY nice paved pedistrian/bike Elliott Bay trail right near cruise ship that goes along the waterfront to Myrtle Edwards Park and the Outdoor Sculpture Park to the Seattle waterfront area (it's actually part of my favorite bike ride). Heck, you can even pick up one of the bike or scooter shares that are around if you're into that.  It is walkable to the start of the trail but unfortunately not straightforward through the port (involves walking to the vehicle bridge, up stairs and over it-sign posted at port for pedestrian access, unless it's been changed since last year). It is doable and not THAT hard but you should be able to walk stairs and walk on flat surface about 2.5 miles one-way (but you don't have to go all the way to enjoy the views. Having a map on your phone would be helpful but not absolutely necessary. You can even walk right to the main road (Elliott Ave) and get a bus to walk back one-way (I've actually taken the bus home from the port a few times before/after cruise).  Or a visit to the Ballard Locks (the salmon are chock a block in the fish ladder right now) is an easy taxi/uber ride away (or bus with transfer if you're comfortable with that). I love hanging out at Seattle Center (Space Needle) too as part of my bike loop that you can walk to or take a direct bus. I can give more detailed directions if interested.  Again, it depends on how much time and walking you want to do. I've attached screenshots of the Elliott Bay Trail from Pier 91/Smith Cove.  It's the green line along the entire waterfront.

Screen Shot 2023-08-17 at 9.41.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-17 at 9.38.14 AM.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nidwaldner said:

Where are you staying the night before? And how far are you willing to walk?

Airport hotel after landing at 9.  Transport to the port in the morning (some Seattle service I first noticed on here).  No rental car at all.

Walking, a couple of miles.  Which is probably further than my wife is willing, lol.  I noticed on google maps that walking to the Space Needle says 1.9 miles.

Thank you, your post is extremely helpful.