Trip Cancellation for late passport processing

Steve,

With all the recent concerns with receiving new and/or renewal passports do excessive processing times, would a standalone CFAR policy cover reimbursement rather than losing all of paid funds? Also would purchasing cruise line protection policy and invoking the CFAR option serve the same purpose?  Would not receiving the passport in time for cruise departure be an acceptable reason to invoke the CFAR clause?

Gary

• Like 1

While you are waiting for Steve, I can tell you that Cancel for Any Reason means just that - any reason or no reason at all. So - yes, you can use it to cancel a cruise if your passport does not arrive in time.

A third-party policy requires an additional premium and will reimburse from 50% to 75% of non refundable expenses in cash. It must be purchased within 14 days of initial deposit, and usually you must give notice of cancellation 48 hours prior to scheduled departure.

Cruise line insurance will reimburse in future credits 75% to 90% depending on the cruise line except for Holland America, which treats all cancellations as CFAR and reimburses 90% cash. Cancellation is allowed up to time of departure in most cases.

Many policies cover lost or stolen documents, but I have never seen one that includes  late-arriving documents. Steve can answer that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CCTraveler said:

Steve,

With all the recent concerns with receiving new and/or renewal passports do excessive processing times, would a standalone CFAR policy cover reimbursement rather than losing all of paid funds? Also would purchasing cruise line protection policy and invoking the CFAR option serve the same purpose?  Would not receiving the passport in time for cruise departure be an acceptable reason to invoke the CFAR clause?

Gary

Hi Gary,

>  Would a standalone CFAR policy cover reimbursement rather than losing all of paid funds?

No, the most you'll be paid is 75% of the money you lost, in cash, if you have a real CFAR plan.

> Would not receiving the passport in time for cruise departure be an acceptable reason to invoke the CFAR clause?

All reasons are acceptable if the policy is a real CFAR plan. That's because “Cancel For Any Reason” (CFAR) means you cancel your entire trip for a reason that is normally not covered (i.e. – you change your mind). It’s not “Delay For Any Reason”, nor is it “Change Your Travel Arrangements For Any Reason”. “Interrupt For Any Reason” (IFAR) means you return home early for a reason that is normally not covered (i.e. – you change your mind).

However, I've seen CFAR claims from companies I don't offer that are denied because the company states the the reason wasn't covered. Upon closer examination, the person didn't have  a real CFAR plan.

The reason I've seen these claims is because I'll offer help someone who hasn't bought a policy from me with their claim if they aren't getting taken care of by whoever sold them their policy.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 2