shuttle buses from cruise terminals to city centre

poppyanlola

New cruiser here, 

currently booked on a costa cruise, stopping at Savona, Marseilles, Barcelona, Ibiza and  Palermo, having watched tons of videos

on everything i need to know im still struggling with a few specific things, I think ive decided to not book ship tours but to wing it myself and maybe just do short visits instead, so does costa cruises have shuttle buses from the terminal into city centre? Im trying to suss out whether i can just get shuttle bus into town, then  get the same bus back, or is that too simple🤣 the costa app doesnt seem to to tell me, any info or tips gladly received, TIA

Generally Costa does not often offer shuttle busses, it depends on the local situation. Some ports have own shuttle services, in others there are no shuttles needed at all. In Savona you never have a shuttle, because the cruise terminal is in the city centre and it is a pretty small place anyway. It takes about 15 minutes to walk to the railway station at the opposite end of the city centre. In Marseille the new terminal is far out of town. I am not sure, but it could be that Costa sold tickets for a shuttle the last time when I was there, but I didn‘t use it. In such a case the tickets are available aboard only, a look into the Oggi a Bordo (today aboard, the daily program delivered to your cabin) will tell you. I also read somewhere about a local shuttle, but never saw such a bus in the port. Barcelona has a regular shuttle bus service on it‘s own https://www.cruisebus.barcelona/en/. In Palermo the cruise terminal is in front of the city centre again, just that Palermo itself is much bigger than Savona is. Just allow me to say, even in the places where you have shuttles on the way to downtown you won‘t see anything really interesting, just taking the bus back will leave the impression that these cities are not worth a visit at all, while they definitely are.

17 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

Marseille has a port shuttle to Joliette Metro, but the stop is not near the terminal and there can be very long lines. There has been a Costa paid shuttle to the Vieux Port every time I have been there.

Thankyou very much

On 8/18/2023 at 7:22 AM, At7Seas said:

Generally Costa does not often offer shuttle busses, it depends on the local situation. Some ports have own shuttle services, in others there are no shuttles needed at all. In Savona you never have a shuttle, because the cruise terminal is in the city centre and it is a pretty small place anyway. It takes about 15 minutes to walk to the railway station at the opposite end of the city centre. In Marseille the new terminal is far out of town. I am not sure, but it could be that Costa sold tickets for a shuttle the last time when I was there, but I didn‘t use it. In such a case the tickets are available aboard only, a look into the Oggi a Bordo (today aboard, the daily program delivered to your cabin) will tell you. I also read somewhere about a local shuttle, but never saw such a bus in the port. Barcelona has a regular shuttle bus service on it‘s own https://www.cruisebus.barcelona/en/. In Palermo the cruise terminal is in front of the city centre again, just that Palermo itself is much bigger than Savona is. Just allow me to say, even in the places where you have shuttles on the way to downtown you won‘t see anything really interesting, just taking the bus back will leave the impression that these cities are not worth a visit at all, while they definitely are.

Thankyou very much, yes I know what you mean about not really seeing the best of the city.... it boils down to money as well , but greatful for you're input

53 minutes ago, poppyanlola said:

Thankyou very much, yes I know what you mean about not really seeing the best of the city.... it boils down to money as well , but greatful for you're input

I really understand that a narrow budget can impose limitations, in younger years I also did the very most of a very little and still today I am simply not willing to do overpriced excursions, although it is today more the value for money factor, which important to me. I myself do intensive research before travelling and know what I want to see in a destination. And if you never have been to Barcelona for example you really should walk along the La Rambla and stroll through the Barrio Gótico. Looking at La Sagrada Família from the outside costs in worst case not more than a metro ticket, depending on the distances you can walk. Especially after you paid 4.50 € for the shuttle already you shouldn‘t return to ship directly, while walking through the city is basicly for free. For example on wikivoyage you can select sights you want to see on a map easily, for navigation download a free offline (important!) navigation app and the maps of the countries you visit, because google requires data roaming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, At7Seas said:

I really understand that a narrow budget can impose limitations, in younger years I also did the very most of a very little and still today I am simply not willing to do overpriced excursions, although it is today more the value for money factor, which important to me. I myself do intensive research before travelling and know what I want to see in a destination. And if you never have been to Barcelona for example you really should walk along the La Rambla and stroll through the Barrio Gótico. Looking at La Sagrada Família from the outside costs in worst case not more than a metro ticket, depending on the distances you can walk. Especially after you paid 4.50 € for the shuttle already you shouldn‘t return to ship directly, while walking through the city is basicly for free. For example on wikivoyage you can select sights you want to see on a map easily, for navigation download a free offline (important!) navigation app and the maps of the countries you visit, because google requires data roaming.

thankyou, great tip about the wikivoyage! will definatley do this, iv been to barcelona twice, but never from a cruise port, so will be using the shuttle bus for sure, not willing to pay for over priced excursione either! especially with a 17 year old who would probably moan all day anyway ha ha, thanks again

• 2 months later...

At Savona you dock next to the old city

At Marseille there's an uphill walk of maybe 700 metres or a bit more to a free local bus

At Barcelona there's a port bus for a couple of euros each way

I haven't been to Ibiza on a cruise

At Palermo you can walk along the coastal road (with a pavement) to the centre. I think the walk is maybe a kilometre.

We only use cruise company's buses when a port offers no other option.

• Like 1

I never book tours in Europe directly with the cruise line. I like doing my own thing and touring what interests me. 

For my upcoming Mediterranean cruise I plan to either take the shuttle provided by the port city (which is either free or you need to pay a couple euros in cash) or a taxi (there is normally a taxi stand within walking distance).