Who is eligible for Military discount?

vegasnvcruiser

When I booked all that I was asked was "Did you or your spouse ever serve" I said yes, my DH was in the AF. All they asked me for was a copy of the DD214. He did none years, but the way I understood you only needed 2 years and the DD214. The discount was good for wach of us. 1 cabin

I was told by a PVP you could get the discount with 2 years of active service and an honorable discharge. My father in-law was in the service many years ago(he is 73 now) and he qualified. We just needed to show his dishcharge papers.

These are what different lines offer for U.S. Military:

Carnival -- active, reserve or retired members, or veterans

Celebrity-- active, reserve and retired

Disney-- active members

Holland-- America active members

Norwegian-- active and retired members

Royal Caribbean -- active, reserve and retired members

MSC Cruises --active and retired members

A wife of a retired military menber. A wife will not get the military discount if she travels without the retired menber. That is unless he is 100% disabled. Carnival no longer gives us that discount. I personally think that this stinks. We wives have taken care of those who have served. Some are no longer able to travel and it was a nice perk for us. Carnival, bring it back.

I was told by a PVP you could get the discount with 2 years of active service and an honorable discharge. My father in-law was in the service many years ago(he is 73 now) and he qualified. We just needed to show his dishcharge papers.
Correct, and those who serve in a theater of war do not need to have served the full 2 years, any time served qualifies.

I understand that Carnival is offering a discount to family members traveling with a military person. Like brothers, sisters, etc.. Has anyone had any dealings with this?

They just brought it back and I would not have known about had I not been reading this board. Thanks so much to the person that posted that info. Anyway, back to your question. We are well after final payment and after calling them today they adjusted the rate for the other three cabins in our group, two of us are prior military, down to the lower rate. It was a savings of $180 per cabin.

First of all.......there are only x number of cabins reserved for military discounts on any given ship. When they are gone, they are gone.

DS has been active military for several years. DH and I have been able to get the discount TWICE while he was in Iraq. The first one was a VERY pleasant surprise and a STEAL. We booked within a week of sailing.

On another occasion........Ds got to use the military discount and one more room at the same rate for a direct relative.....mother, father, brother, sister. We all agreed to let DD have it since her income was more limited. But, at the time they allowed.........either 3 or 4 more rooms for friends and family at a slightly higher rate. We booked two of those rooms. After a couple of weeks we tried to get the discount on another room and they said they weren't any left. So, the last couple wound up paying quite a bit more. But, they got a very nice balcony and were happy none the less.

Hello,

I have a little to add here..........................

On my 10-22-05 sailing of the Glory i got the military discount.

I was in the Navy for 1 year and 11 months, a supervisor at Carnival APPROVED it. 4 days later i get my statement showing how much i owed and it was WAY higher. I called and asked about it, well apparently you can send it in, and it may get approved, but make sure, please make sure it gets sent to the proper department to get APPLIED.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Archived