Just back from Grandeur - Norwalk!

:D We just returned from the 5 night Grandeur to Coz and GC. For the most part, we had an absolutely wonderful time! We arrived at the port about 12;00, but did not begin boarding until 12;30. There was an outbreak of the Norwalk virus :mad: on the last cruise, and the crew was working hard and fast to sanitize the entire ship, so boarding was late starting. Once on board, the smell of bleach was very noticeable! They had the hand sanitizers everywhere on the ship. We were not allowed into Windjammer or dining room without first using sanitizer. ssAll food was served to you. You were not allowed to serve yourself at all during the complete cruise. Also, midnight buffets were canceled.

Unfortunately, one gal in our group came down with the virus the second day, that afternoon. She was so ill that her mom had to take her to the doctor, where they gave her a shot and pills, and confined her, along with the 3 other girls in her cabin, for 24 hours! Fortunately, the other girls did not get sick. However, there were others on board that also got sick. The four girls were not allowed to leave the ship in Cozumel! This was sad, but very necessary, because two of the girls have never cruised before. They handled the confinement well, and understood completely why this was necessary.

RCL will be giving each girl a credit towards next cruise. We will find out Tuesday how much it is. RCL has to calculate according to what we paid for each girl and then allow a certain percentage. Will let you know.

One thing I found disturbing was the fact that the cleaning crew members were constantly wiping down the bathrooms - sink tops, faucets, toilets, toilet door handles, constantly. But, there were not just wiping them down, they were pouring the bleach solution onto everything. So many women had clothing ruined because of leaning against the sink countertops to wash hands, and got, the bleach solution on their cloths! I am not saying that RCL should not sanitize, but I think there should have been signs so everyone could have been more cautious learning that the solution had been applied. I am so glad that RCL was so caring and doing the utmost they could to get this virus from spreading more. My hat is off to RCL for their efforts - but signs would have been nice. Also, they were spraying all the hand rails, and folks would go down the steps and feel the wet, and wipe it on their suits and nice dresses! Oh well, we learned!

The girls used their time to sleep and eat "a lot" (as they said)! They watched all the movies on the TV and made plans for when they were "freed"! The only thing that made me a little upset, was that their cabin steward avoided them the entire cruise. The lady stated that her boss told her she could not clean the cabin, even after the confinement ended. The girls did not tell us this until this morning when we left, stating that it would have been nice to have had the beds made up. The cabin steward would knock on the door and handed them clean towels, but did nothing else. Then the lady had the nerve to literally chased them down the hall upon our leaving, commenting that she couldn't believe the girls only left her $20! She made the cabin up the night we left, and the next morning. That's all! Oh well, I will write RCL about this!

Other than that, we had a wonderful time. We were all on the 3rd deck and we had Harvey as our cabin steward, and he was absolutely wonderful! The food and shows were good, but I always enjoy RCL's food and shows. The ship looked great and well-kept. And, we were extremely fortunate with weather and sea condition - sunny, warm, and calm!

I will try to answer any questions.

I always bring Lysol wipes with me - virus or not - and clean the bathroom and things that usually aren't disinfected - like door handles, TV remotes, etc., before allowing my child to touch anything. I've been doing it for years ... but that's not going to help if they are not washing the bedspreads and blankets on the beds ... you know?

Norwalk usually hits in late fall or early winter....this year apparently it took it's good old time.

Cruise ships aren't the only one's affected - there have been Public Health warnings in Toronto about Norwalk and it's presence in schools and hospitals. Once the virus is "out there" it harder to contain.

I have worked in the healthcare field for the past 15 years and have only caught the dreaded Norwalk once - if you do nothing else to protect yourself.....wash your hands OFTEN! It's the BEST defence.

I got off the ship on March 11 after suffering for several days with the virus.When we went back to get our bags before departing, I was appalled to find that the sofa bed had been made up already without serious efforts to sanitize the room. I had been so ill on that bed and the blankets and everything were probably harboring the germs. No wonder last week's cruisers got sick, too.

a high school in South Jersey was CLOSED a couple of weeks ago because more than 1500 of its students had the Norwalk Virus...it is not only cruise ships that have these outbreaks. Mass hysteria can't and won't solve any of the problems...

I got off the ship on March 11 after suffering for several days with the virus.When we went back to get our bags before departing, I was appalled to find that the sofa bed had been made up already without serious efforts to sanitize the room. I had been so ill on that bed and the blankets and everything were probably harboring the germs. No wonder last week's cruisers got sick, too.

That is what I wa afraid of.

I posted this on another thread, and thought you might apprecitate it here. We received our compensation without any problem. I called the cruiseline about 3 weeks after we got home because I had not received any letter in the mail with the dollar amount. The agent on the phone applied it to our booking for next March on AOS. Our cabin stewarddess was so good to us. She came in and sanitized the bathroom each day and was so kind. Room service was very quick, they practically ran out the door and one would not come in at all. I don't really blame them for that. Here is my post:

My hubby was unfortunate and got "the virus" on our cruise aboard the Jewel. He woke up sick the first morning and the doctor said he likely got it on land in Florida since it happened so quickly. We had stayed in Fort Lauderdale for 3 days prior. We were "both" isolated in our cabin for 24 hours. They time it from the last time the sick person "went" to the bathroom. I was so thankful to have a balcony cabin, it was a sea day so I stayed out there as much as possible. Hubby got free movies and free bottled water. I was so lucky and did not catch it, I was scared to death when I saw how sick he was, no way did I want that dose! I washed my hands contantly and stayed as far as I could from him (very romantic.) The cruiseline gave us each a pro rated credit for 1 day of our cruise to be used toward a future cruise as compensation for agreeing to being isolated. I think there were others on the cruise that were sick as well because they mentioned they would be sending the "letters" of compensation out on the last night of the cruise. We had a great cruise after hubby recovered and we were able to go ashore in San Juan.

Each time you see a hand cleaner available, use it! Linda

Wow, I think RCI was very generous to offer you compensation knowing that your husband didn't even get it on the ship. It was good of you to be honest about it and follow instructions - enjoy the reward in March for your honesty:) . I'm sure your fellow passengers appreciate your actions. Too bad others don't do the same.

a high school in South Jersey was CLOSED a couple of weeks ago because more than 1500 of its students had the Norwalk Virus...it is not only cruise ships that have these outbreaks. Mass hysteria can't and won't solve any of the problems...
Howdy, Neighbor Eileen!

And she's right - that was big news in our area a couple of weeks ago. This week, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported an outbreak of Norovirus at a couple of nursing homes.

Close quarters = likelihood of norovirus.

As Linda said, WASH YOUR HANDS. A LOT. Hint I have learned: "how long should I wash?" Sing the "happy birthday song" to yourself - you've washed long enough after you have sung the entire song. :)

Archived