Free Prepaid Service Charges

swafly5909

On 8/25/2023 at 8:24 AM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I thought the DSC now is DAILY service charge 

I've seen it written as "Daily Service Charge", "Discretionary Service Charge", "Onboard Service Charge", and just plain old "Service Charge". Not to mention just "Gratuities".

There is inevitably debate about whether it goes to the crew directly, or whether it goes to a crew happiness fund, or whether it fills the swimming pools behind the houses of NCL executives.

Many people profess to know, but probably only people who are high up at NCL know for sure, and I don't think they're talking.

I treat it as crew tips, because that's what NCL tells me that it is. I don't have the time or energy to cancel it at Guest Services and then walk around the ship handing the equivalent amount in $1 bills to anyone who serves me.

Why? Because I'm on vacation.

And I'm trusting NCL with my safety so I might as well trust them about the Service Charge.

I do tip above and beyond the service charge to our cabin steward, or anyone that goes above and beyond the required basic service level—just as I'd tip more than 18% in a restaurant if I get a high level of service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1