Whales....When?....Where?

Being a southern girl, I really have no clue about such things. But I was just wondering about our chances of seeing any whales on our upcoming Pac/NW cruise? We'll be going from Vancouver to Astoria to San Fran to LA, September 24-28, 2006.

Thanx in advance!

The best whale viewing will be at Robson Bight, which is on the east coast of Vancouver Island between Campbell River and Port Hardy. There is a large group of Orcas there. Hopefully your ship will pass in daylight. The last time we did the trip we passed by northbound very early in the morning, and again in the afternoon on the southbound leg.

Further north in Icy Strait and Alaskan waters there is a good chance of seeing some humpbacks before they head south for the winter.

Sorry...I misread your itinerary. The is a chance you'll see some Orcas in Juan de Fuca Strait, but not great. You could see some humpies or greys off the Washington and Oregon coats, but September is probably too early. The fall migration doesn't start until October.

• 3 weeks later...

You will see whales about 1 and 1/2 hours out of Seattle around Whidbey Island and in the Strait of Juan De Fuca. At the present time there is 4 seperate resident pods that eat salmon plus 3 pods that are seal and sea lion killers in the Puget Sound, Also several gray whales. I live in Mukilteo facing Whidby Island and we have seen whales for the last 2 months. Sept is the best month to see the orcas, and April and May for the Grays.

• 3 weeks later...
You will see whales about 1 and 1/2 hours out of Seattle around Whidbey Island and in the Strait of Juan De Fuca. At the present time there is 4 seperate resident pods that eat salmon plus 3 pods that are seal and sea lion killers in the Puget Sound, Also several gray whales. I live in Mukilteo facing Whidby Island and we have seen whales for the last 2 months. Sept is the best month to see the orcas, and April and May for the Grays.

We'll be cruising from San Francisco to Vancouver later this week - will arive in Victoria April 29. Do you think there is much possibility of seeing some gray whales on this itinerary? WE will be arriving in Victoria mid-day. We will be heading out toward Vancouver from Victoria in the evening, so unfortunately it will be getting pretty dark as we go through the San Juan Islands.

Archived