Confused by travel insurance

HappyTexan44

In the past, I normally didn't get travel insurance.   I think maybe once or twice I got it.    
Now we are older and our parents are older and we have a child.  And we are going on a cruise rather than driving within the U.S.   

Our two major concerns are Medical since we'll be out of the country, and cancelling the trip because something happens with one of our parents.  

When we bought the cruise I signed up for the Royal Caribbean insurance mainly because that seemed easiest at that point.  I thought I'd cancel that if I got something else later.  

I looked into Allianz annual since technically we have three trips planned for next year.   But the other two are driving trips, staying in hotels and if cancelled at worst we'd be out one night's hotel stay.   So, it wasn't worth the increased cost.  

The price is the same whether it is from Allianz or Royal.    Does any have a recommendation?   Do either of those pay medical directly?  

If you are concerned that your parents’ health may cause you to cancel, the safest thing is to get a policy with a pre-existing conditions waiver that extends to non traveling family members. Such a policy must be purchased within 14-21 days of initial deposit so you may already be outside that window. There are a few that can be purchased at final payment. Without a waiver, the insurance company will examine medical records for a defined period, usually 60 days prior to the effective date of the policy. If they find anything related to the cause for the claim, it will be denied.

Royal does not cover pre-existing conditions at all. It does allow Cancel For Any Reason with reimbursement in future cruise credits.

If your driving trips are in the US, I see no value in an annual policy.

Travel insurance does not pay direct in the same way your primary health insurance does at home. Most policies will advance payment if necessary when you must be hospitalized, but incidental care elsewhere such as on the ship or at a clinic requires that you pay then file for reimbursement.

Since you seem to be unfamiliar with travel insurance, I suggest you let a professional help you find the best coverage for your circumstances. Call The Trip Interruption Store. It does not cost any more. Tell them what you’ve expressed here, and they can advise you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1