Snorkel - Jamaica

sorry - wouldn't recommend it

check other Jam' threads here...

Jam' isn't really known for this activity - at least not around the major cities. Get away from the main stream - like out to Port Antonio and things are better - but around Ocho? Well you can get someone to take you out - and I have scuba'd there several times - but I know what to expect and it ain't much. Water can be clear but coral is so-so and the critters are few and small.

Overfishing and lack of environmental protection makes diving or snorkeling in Jamaica so-so at best. At least it's warm water.

In Ocho Rios, one of the attraction is Dunn's River Falls. Wear a wet shoes and walk up the falls. Bring a waterproof camera. You'll have a good time.

Thanks for the information. We will not waste our time and money to snorkel in Jamaica, then. We are already planning on snorkeling in GC and Cozumel. We will plan to do Dunn River's Fall and Fern Gully, then visit Hard Rock Cafe for a shot glass (we collect them), Margaritaville and do some shopping.:)

One thing Jamaica is famous for is their Blue Mountain coffee. In most tourist areas they sell at $12-15/lb or higher. I was able to buy some at a supermarket (where the locals shop) at $9/lb.

If you are a coffee drinker, try to get some there.

Archived