Current NCL Air Fare Promo

Smitheroo

Can someone tell me how the following is a "Second Passenger Flies Free" deal?

1 person in a single cabin- the air fare is $490 and ground transportation is $112.50

2 people in a single cabin- the air fare is $980 and ground transportation $225

Are  they saying that the air fare is normally $980 each and the promo really means a 50 % reduction for each passenger?    

Can you choose NCL Air Fare only in one direction? 

Pretty much.  The T&C say solo passengers get 50% off.  You can look at it as both passengers get a 50% discount or 1st passenger pays full fare and the 2nd gets it free.  Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Yes, you can request just 1 direction.  You can also request different gateways if you want to start or end your vacation in different places - I've done that to add a visit to family at the end of my cruise. But as already mentioned, passengers 1 & 2 are each charged 1/2 of whatever fare NCL is using for their cost basis.

I never understood why NCL doesn't offer something else for those of us that live near the port or an option to opt out like you can with the dining and beverage package.  It seems to me folks not needing airfare are subsidizing those that do through higher fares.

Now I know there are lots of things on a cruise ship that many folks don't or can't use, but this is a $1,200 benefit out of pocket savings. Just does not seem fair.