Using Smartphones when at sea (new but also old issue?)

Pylon

Y21,

Thank your for the link and reference to Skype and 365. The article provides a good summary.  I noticed that it mentions that a Wi Fi call will be connected through a cellular or Wi Fi network depending on which network has a stronger signal when a call is made. Presumably it is not an issue if you have the Princess Wi Fi because the call will go through it automatically if WI FI call is on and the call is made through the Princess connection. 

But I wonder if this either or depending on the stronger signal may also explain why some posters on articles I read were unexpectedly incurring Cellular at Sea charges billed to their provider in respect of voice messages left on their phone even though it was in Air Plane Mode. I am wondering if they had WI Fi call on their phone but had not paid for the Princess Wi Fi service and the incoming message downloaded through Cellular at Sea despite being in Air Plane Mode? Just a guess. But it seems such unexpected charges are occurring because some have posted to that effect on line. 

10 minutes ago, Pylon said:

Y21,

Thank your for the link and reference to Skype and 365. The article provides a good summary.  I noticed that it mentions that a Wi Fi call will be connected through a cellular or Wi Fi network depending on which network has a stronger signal when a call is made. Presumably it is not an issue if you have the Princess Wi Fi because the call will go through it automatically if WI FI call is on and the call is made through the Princess connection. 

But I wonder if this either or depending on the stronger signal may also explain why some posters on articles I read were unexpectedly incurring Cellular at Sea charges billed to their provider in respect of voice messages left on their phone even though it was in Air Plane Mode. I am wondering if they had WI Fi call on their phone but had not paid for the Princess Wi Fi service and the incoming message downloaded through Cellular at Sea despite being in Air Plane Mode? Just a guess. But it seems such unexpected charges are occurring because some have posted to that effect on line. 

If your phone is in airplane mode, then it is not connected to a cellular network. Turning on airplane mode turns off cellular voice and cellular data. Then you turn wifi back on but you don't turn cellular back on. I don't know why people were charged for cellular despite being in airplane mode. It was either a technical problem with their phone or user error.

The checking for a stronger signal only happens if you have both cellular and wifi on - not if one is turned off.

• 8 months later...
On 8/28/2023 at 2:18 PM, Sprocket said:

Port days I make sure I am connected to a tower before making calls etc and enable the ships wifi about an hour or so before departure.

Is this for wifi calling?  MUST you enable ship's wifi at each port before departing? I understand that to set up wifi calling overall, you must do that before starting the cruise -- preferably at home where the emergency location is inputted.  But after a day of touring on land, can't you just board and connect to wifi any time while at sea?

On 8/29/2023 at 1:03 AM, villageidit said:

I was sending and receiving texts over wifi on my last cruise. I have AT&T as a carrier and we were in the middle of the Atlantic

My sister and BIL are on a trans-Atlantic cruise now, have the ship's internet package, and are communicating with us via WhatsApp.  They're on Caribbean Princess, and the internet is incredibly reliable and stable!  Not sure, but Starlink might be the satellite.  In the past, ship's internet was a joke -- but not a funny one.  Practically unusable.  They're very happy using ship's wifi and WhatsApp.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

Is this for wifi calling?  MUST you enable ship's wifi at each port before departing? I understand that to set up wifi calling overall, you must do that before starting the cruise -- preferably at home where the emergency location is inputted.  But after a day of touring on land, can't you just board and connect to wifi any time while at sea?

My answers are based on using an iPhone with AT&T. It may be different with a different phone or a different carrier.

You need to turn off airplane mode before using cellular networks in ports. When you return to the ship, you need to turn airplane mode back on. When you turn on airplane mode, it automatically turns off wi-fi. You then need to turn wi-fi back on to use the ship's wi-fi, even if you don't plan to use the ship's Internet.

You do not need to re-enable wi-fi calling. Once you enable it, it stays enabled. Even though it is enabled, it just doesn't work unless you're connected to a wi-fi network.

I always leave wi-fi calling enabled. I have a weak cellular connection at home. It automatically switches from cellular to wi-fi if wi-fi is connected and the cellular connection is weak.

Edited by NavyVeteran
  • Like 1