Learned something new today

erby2283

I am taking a girls cruise next year (three of us) and I just went ahead and paid for the deposit in full rather than having my TA collect credit cards from everyone. I always get CFAR because I have fur babies and am always worried I may need to cancel (over the years I have had dogs with cancer and have had to cancel vacations - luckily not cruises though).  But I always get it for peace of mind.

So I asked my TA (and friend) if he got payment from my two girlfriends for their insurance and he said it wasn't needed until they actually made a payment towards the cruise or booked airfare.  We booked a refundable deposit with additional rate terms and conditions: Change fees are not assessed outside of the final payment window. Refundable deposit subject to cancellation penalties. Basically, full refund if canceling more than 56 days out.  TA said if they needed to file a claim, insurance company will want to know the first day they made payment towards the trip, and since I made the deposit, they technically didn't pay for anything until airfare/balance of cruise.

Can anyone think of a reason this would be inaccurate? Policy is with Travel Guard so will probably give them a call to be sure.