Pronunciation?

39august

Excellent, EJL. You open the door for me. 

I play on a small (but perfectly formed) food/restaurant forum which has an off-topic area. And, back in the spring, I raised the very subject as a general interest in the linguistics difference. The discussion may give you a chuckle or two.

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/arse-or-ass-a-linguistics-question/34079/73

23 minutes ago, Harters said:

Excellent, EJL. You open the door for me. 

I play on a small (but perfectly formed) food/restaurant forum which has an off-topic area. And, back in the spring, I raised the very subject as a general interest in the linguistics difference. The discussion may give you a chuckle or two.

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/arse-or-ass-a-linguistics-question/34079/73

Well….that was an interesting read!!! 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodrowst said:

After this gets settled could someone tell me how Caribbean is pronounced in  Royal Carribean? 😉

For some strange reason I pronounce both ways, depending on usage.

As a geographical location, "Car i-BEE-an", as in "We're going to the Car -i-BEE-an".

As an adjective, "CarI-bee-an", as in "We're taking a Car-I-bee-an cruise".

So I suppose it's "Royal Car-I bee-an" for me.

And I never thought about this until I read this thread, so maybe I actually did learn something on this board, other than how many bottles of booze I can bring to my stateroom, which varies from zero to 6 to unlimited, depending on who you ask.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nuevowavo said:

For some strange reason I pronounce both ways, depending on usage.

As a geographical location, "Car i-BEE-an", as in "We're going to the Car -i-BEE-an".

As an adjective, "CarI-bee-an", as in "We're taking a Car-I-bee-an cruise".

So I suppose it's "Royal Car-I bee-an" for me.

And I never thought about this until I read this thread, so maybe I actually did learn something on this board, other than how many bottles of booze I can bring to my stateroom, which varies from zero to 6 to unlimited, depending on who you ask.

I just realized I do the exact same thing 😆 - but we are in the unlimited bottles of booze after 15 cruises over 10 years on O all over the World and never had anyone bat an eye.....

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2023 at 6:48 PM, WayneLaR said:

Similar to "Aluminium" and "Aluminum".  The former is the British spelling and it is pronounced al-you-min-ee-um.  The latter is the American spelling and is pronounced a-loo-min-um. 

AS Oceania sticks that i near the end of the name I suspect it was/is intended to be pronounced O-she-ann-ee-ah.

Oh-she-aye-knee-ah or Oh-she-annie-ah are the two I have heard as proper. 

On 8/29/2023 at 5:06 PM, YourWorldWithBill said:

There is a tendency in the UK to pronounce the "i", so "oh she ann ee ah". But in the US people are generally particular to pronounce it "oh see anna". 

The funny (true) story is that although the CEO of O has pronounced it the American way for a long time, someone on one of these threads posted a video of him at the first press conference announcing the cruise line, pronouncing it the British way.

As I said, there is a long thread somewhere here with a discussion about that.

Anyway, you can't go wrong.

I”m from the UK and we’ve always pronounced O shee ana 😁

1 hour ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

I'm from the UK and we’ve always pronounced O shee ana 😁

Though I can never remember, is Oceania at war with Eurasia today or Eastasia? It seems like our perpetual state of war is constantly changing. But that's life on Airstrip 1? Thank God for the Ministry of Truth. 😉

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though I can never remember, is Oceania at war with Eurasia today or Eastasia? It seems like our perpetual state of war is constantly changing. But that's life on Airstrip 1? Thank God for the Ministry of Truth. 😉

Just remember, Orwell that ends well.

• Like 2